5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear spacers install

Hereford

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install 1.5in rear coil spring spacers on my 2019 1500 org. Does lifting the truck by its frame yield enough travel of the axle so that the rear coils can be removed or are spring compressors necessary. I haven't found any good install instructions. Thanks

Jp306

Reaction score
I'm sure you've done this already, but maybe this info will help out others. I just put in 1.5" rear spacers on my ORG today.

I did the first side by jacking on the hitch receiver with a couple blocks of wood for extra height, which worked well. Took out the lower shock mount bolt and unbolted the sway bar link on both sides firstly.

2nd side I used the frame ahead of the rear tire which gave more clearance than the hitch BUT at the cost of stability, which got squirrelly enough to be a problem. The other side was on jack stands and I could feel them begin to tilt because of the heavy lean.

So in the end, I would recommend using the hitch to heave it up, but you'll need a tall jack. Nice and even weight spread. Save yourself messing your pants.

And to actually answer your question:
I found spring compressors necessary. You could maybe find enough room to pry out the spring, but getting it back in AND on top of the new spacer I don't think could be done. Maybe NON ORG springs it would work since they are a bit shorter. I put the compressors on AFTER I lifted the body up. Way more room to work with and the wider you can spread the compressors.

Long answer, but hope this helps someone.

Users who are viewing this thread