5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear end problems???

Ram4141

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 that about a year ago started making noise from the middle to back underneath the truck. It would make the noise after coming to a complete stop, turn the front wheels sharply and accelerating. The dealership said the transfer case was bad. They replaced it with new one and the noise went away. Now a year later. The exact noise came back. My truck now has 70k miles on it and is out of factory warranty. The transfer case that was replaced is still under warranty. I took it back to the dealership for them to look at. I took them for a ride so they could hear it was making the same noise again. They looked at it and at the end of the day called and said "Transfer case is not the issue, the rear differential was low on fluid. We had to put some posi fluid in it because sometimes as these trucks get older they need it.". It has 70k miles on it and I only tow a small 3k lb trailer twice a year. My tuck is parked in my garage almost all day and night. No drips on the floor anywhere. Where did the fluid go? They added the fluid at no charge and said anything else would be on me because the truck is out of warranty. I drove it home and now the noise is gone. Does this sound correct? I have to wonder if the rear end is screwed and they know they misdiagnosed it a year ago?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you have the limited slip differential? It's common for the clutches to grunt, squeak, and shudder when turning. My Dakota has done from pretty early on, it's annoying but not going to blow up. It sounds like dealer added friction modifier, which is fine if it quiets the offending behavior. Maybe was never anything wrong with the transfer case.

Ram4141

Reaction score
I do have a limited slip. I hope you are correct. I don't have much confidence in my local dealer. I guess time will tell.

fitz7

Reaction score
My rear diff went at 45,500 kms. Replaced under warranty which took 2 months. Got it back and the rear diff blew in 3 days. Got another one installed after a 5 week wait. Now i have a hum sound in my 4 x 4 i never heard b4 the resr diff went. I have had my truck back 3 days and i can hear the odd werrrr noise like a squeeky wheel but it sounds like the diff or posibly drive shaft. I am pretty chokes with my 2019 ram. I know all new trucks have issues but this was the fiest new truck i purchased and ram has made me feel like an idiot. The tech said it is cupped tires when i took it to him after the first diff replacement. I told him straight up its a metal wirring noise not a humm of bad tires. I even took him for a test drive and he woulsnt change his opinion. The sound got even worse 10 minutes into our drive br he agreed to look at the diff to be sure... well the diff was blown again...

Users who are viewing this thread