5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear axle ratio question

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4Owner

Reaction score
So I saw one guy on YouTube who has a Laramie Ltd with the 3.21 axle ratio and he mentioned that he was able to tow 9,000 pounds no problem. There is no way I would ever be towing more than 9,000 pounds. My '18 boat weights 3,000 pounds, the tandem axle trailer that carries it probably weights max 1,110 pounds. With my family in the truck plus some junk in the bed we'd probably another 750 pounds. Explain to me why I would opt for the 3.92 axle ratio? I hear so many different stories ranging from fuel consumption to acceleration to towing...I really just want a (relatively) quick truck that can easily tow what I described in this message. Is fuel consumption important to me? Sure, but only to the extent that its more of a nice to have than a need to have, otherwise I simply wouldn't be looking at a 6,000 vehicle with a 5.7 liter V8.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Simple answer. It gets the truck into the power band quicker. Sure, you can tow with a 3.21, it will just be slower getting up to speed. 3.92 will get you going quicker.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I saw one guy on YouTube who has a Laramie Ltd with the 3.21 axle ratio and he mentioned that he was able to tow 9,000 pounds no problem. There is no way I would ever be towing more than 9,000 pounds. My '18 boat weights 3,000 pounds, the tandem axle trailer that carries it probably weights max 1,110 pounds. With my family in the truck plus some junk in the bed we'd probably another 750 pounds. Explain to me why I would opt for the 3.92 axle ratio? I hear so many different stories ranging from fuel consumption to acceleration to towing...I really just want a (relatively) quick truck that can easily tow what I described in this message. Is fuel consumption important to me? Sure, but only to the extent that its more of a nice to have than a need to have, otherwise I simply wouldn't be looking at a 6,000 vehicle with a 5.7 liter V8.
There is an entire two thousand plus post thread that talks all about the gear ratio differences. Check it out. Going to lock this thread to prevent starting another one.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread