5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Really Weird

mx1alex

Reaction score
Had a really strange sequence of events happen this morning in my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited (53k miles)

Started the truck and started backing out of the garage. Made it about 10 ft and the engine just shuts off. No sputtering or anything. So I start it back up and the check engine light is now on and there's another light that I thought was yellow but maybe I'm wrong and it was actually red. Seems to be some sort of parking brake error light. Because I was in gear when the engine shutoff I assume it automatically applied the parking brake.

1631198104826.png

So after I restart the engine I turn on and off the parking brake a couple of times and the parking brake indicator light goes off but the engine light stays on. I run to O'Reilly's just down the road and ask them to scan it. They tell me nothing is showing up on their diagnostic tool.

I leave and on my way to work I look down and my digital speedo display is in km/h instead of mph. Not sure if it was that way before taking it to O'Reilly's or not.

Anybody have any insight to this??? Seems like it's some computer glitch but I really don't know.

This sounds a lot like your backup warning system. My 2021 Laramie will do something similar if I try to back up with the tailgate down. The km/hr reading is likely from accidentally hitting the Ok button on the left side of the steering wheel. That instantly converts you to metric speed. Hit it again and it goes back to miles per hour. My first move would be to trying clearing the codes with an OBDII reader even though it says there are none. If no joy, I would remove the battery cable until the system resets. There is a procedure for that. Then I'd see if everything goes back to normal.

Had a really strange sequence of events happen this morning in my 2019 Ram 1500 Limited (53k miles)

Started the truck and started backing out of the garage. Made it about 10 ft and the engine just shuts off. No sputtering or anything. So I start it back up and the check engine light is now on and there's another light that I thought was yellow but maybe I'm wrong and it was actually red. Seems to be some sort of parking brake error light. Because I was in gear when the engine shutoff I assume it automatically applied the parking brake.

View attachment 105073

So after I restart the engine I turn on and off the parking brake a couple of times and the parking brake indicator light goes off but the engine light stays on. I run to O'Reilly's just down the road and ask them to scan it. They tell me nothing is showing up on their diagnostic tool.

I leave and on my way to work I look down and my digital speedo display is in km/h instead of mph. Not sure if it was that way before taking it to O'Reilly's or not.

Anybody have any insight to this??? Seems like it's some computer glitch but I really don't know.
I just had the EXACT same thing happen to me yesterday in my 2019 1500 with the Parking warning and the check engine light. I shut my truck off, wiped off all the bumper sensors, pulled the parking brake switch a few times just like you did, seemed logical. I keep all of my parking sensors switched to off and just use surround camera when I need it. Started it and the check engine light is still on. My truck just turned 25K 100 miles ago, so thought it might just be a built-in call for service that I just hadn’t noticed. Left a message for Dodge Service to see what my warranty covers and haven’t tried the OBDII yet, but that’s a good call since dealing with the stealership is alway a PITA.
The only thing I’ve done different recently was to turn on the Parking Assist button last week when I was parallel parking in the city just to see if it helped, so I’m thinking it might be a glitch in that system since I’d never used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back