5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Real Numbers vs Computer

mx1alex

Reaction score
Took my 2019 Ram Limited (5.7L w/ Etourque and 3.92 gears, ~11k miles now) on a 2000 mile trip to San Antonio and back recently and decided to really track my mileage. I have not been happy with my mileage and question how the computer is calculating it. On the way down I was pulling a 6x12 double axle enclosed trailer. No trailer on the way back. I tracked my mileage both using the trucks Trip odometer and tracking by hand using an app that tracks your gas purchases.

Trip A on the odometer was the entire trip (Trailer and No trailer) = 2073 miles and 18.4 mpg
Trip B was just the way back. (No trailer) = 964 miles and 18.3 mpg

With the trailer I was getting roughly 10.5-11 mpg and was pretty steady. On the way back with no trailer and a full tank of gas according to the computer I was getting 20+ mpg but after a 200 miles or so the mpg started dropping and by the time I needed to fill up again it was down around 17.9 mpg. My speed was pretty much the same the entire tank of gas. There was some elevation gain on the back half of the tank but not a huge amount.

So a few things I can't explain:

1. Trip A should not be higher mpg than Trip B because Trip A should be including the trailer mpg.
2. Why did my mpg fluctuate so much on one tank of gas going almost the same speed the entire trip.
3. On my last fill-up the truck computer said I had about 60 miles till empty when I filled up. I have the 33 gal tank and it only took 28.3 gal of gas. It should have taken more if there really was only 60 miles left. I have never since owning it actually put more than 30 gal in it. I'm wondering if I need to just run it all the way out so the gas gauge realizes there's more fuel down there.

On more side note: On the way down I stayed in a hotel for the night. got in the truck the next morning and it was like the speakers in my truck were on full blast. I had to have the volume level at one and even then it was still really distorted. Phone calls, radio, bluetooth, XM, everything was just awful. I read about doing a soft reset of the uconnect but never could get it to work. Not sure if it was me not doing the reset right or what. I ended up stopping at a dealership, they acted like they didn't know what a soft reset was. They disconnected the battery on the negative side for a couple minutes and that seemed to fix it. All of my presets and everything were still there too.

1580150756947.png
1580150948093.png
1580150837442.png
1580150862106.png

The consensus is that, the computer only calculates on the last X miles, not all since last reset.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The consensus is that, the computer only calculates on the last X miles, not all since last reset.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That is my take. I have been keeping track of Ram mpg and hand calculated since new. At 14,300 miles there is .33 mpg difference with the Ram having the higher mpg.

I stopped hand calculating a long time ago. The difference was minimal at best. I don't think I ever saw more than a .5 difference.
Ram mpg high over 3.59 and under 2.71. But in agreement for the most part. I think the consistency of your mpg will have an effect on the two numbers. The high and low were adjacent fill ups. I am of the opinion if I kept driving the Ram mpg would have adjusted and the difference would not be so large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back