5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rattle/Tapping under load - Detonation/Spark Knock??

phillipbergman86

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi (48.5k miles)

So I've been hearing this noise for a while, and have seen several other people talk about the same thing. It's basically a rattle/metallic tapping/pinging sound that is heard when the engine is under load, even very light load, like if I'm driving at 40mph and the truck is in 7th gear and then i give it some light gas, it may rattle for a moment as it deals with the load. From doing research the best I can tell is that it is Detonation/Pre-Detonation/Spark Knock whatever it's called. Some people have said running 87 octane can make this happen, but since I switched to 91/89 It still is making the sound. Haven't taken it to the dealer as of yet, but just wanted anyone elses thoughts or what they did to fix this issue (or if it is even an issue at all?) Some people say spark knock/detonation is horrible for your engine, and some say light knocking is normal. Here is an example, I put a gopro under the hood and recorded it. This was going about 60-65 mph, so would have been in 8th gear, and it sounds like it's tapping/knocking from whatever light load is being placed on the engine (It taps pretty loud at the 9/10 second mark). Anyone else having this issue and have any good solutions or advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back