5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Random Hesitation

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
I know the Diesel has a bit of a delay when you put your foot down from a dead stop, but it's usually very responsive under normal acceleration.
Light turns green, give it about 25-50%, absolutely no delay or hesitation. Give it 100% throttle, it has to think about it for a sec.

I've gotten used to that, but this one's new. I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to make a right. I had a nice big opening, so I began to pull out under light/medium throttle, but there was no response. Engine didn't bog or stall, just ZERO throttle response. I ended up having to slam on my brake because I didn't want to enter the intersection with no power. Second time was fine.

Has this happened to anyone else?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know the Diesel has a bit of a delay when you put your foot down from a dead stop, but it's usually very responsive under normal acceleration.
Light turns green, give it about 25-50%, absolutely no delay or hesitation. Give it 100% throttle, it has to think about it for a sec.

I've gotten used to that, but this one's new. I was sitting at a stop sign waiting to make a right. I had a nice big opening, so I began to pull out under light/medium throttle, but there was no response. Engine didn't bog or stall, just ZERO throttle response. I ended up having to slam on my brake because I didn't want to enter the intersection with no power. Second time was fine.

Has this happened to anyone else?
What year is your truck? Have you had the latest DEF recall done? That seems to have fixed any hesitation I had before. Several others have reported this as well.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This was a big issue on my 2020, not so much on the 2022. Has only happened a couple of times that I can remember, always after a warm start.

tom318

Reaction score
Mine does this as well, was told by other forum members that their problem went away after the DEF recall was preformed. I haven't had my recall done yet so cant confirm. Doesn't happen to often for me but its definitely not good when it does. The joys of electronics and software.....

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score
Hmmm, yea, it's a 22, so I don't think there's a recall.

It was definitely a warm truck, it was 20mi into my 22mi daily drive. Only happened that one time, I had plenty of room to make my right under light throttle, but I didn't want to end up in the middle of the intersection, either, so I waited for more cars to pass before I tried again.

Now, under full throttle, I consider that normal, and I assume it has something to do with the turbo having to spool up, and/or some of the emissions equipment preparing itself.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know for sure my problem wasn’t turbo related as engine rpm will increase either way when throttle input is sent to the engine from the pcm, power might be lacking but some sort of rpm increase would still be present.

I’d assume it’s something emissions related and I’ve always thought maybe it’s something to do with the valve towards the end of the exhaust used to create back pressure for the egr system. I don’t know what the exact role of this valve is or when it is opened or closed.

The recall nearly eliminated the problem in my 2020 truck which was a relief as things can turn bad really quick when the person behind you sees your brake lights turn off and accelerate expecting you to do the same but the truck just sits there while the engine wakes up from its nap.

Wtray

Reaction score
This is exactly why I got the banks derringer and pedal monster combo. Even after the recall was done on my truck, I still randomly had the delay and it was always at a time that was very dangerous. After installing the banks pedal monster, The truck feels like I think it should have from the factory. When you push the go pedal, the truck moves each and every time. Been running it on the truck for over a year now.

jent

Reaction score
I also have experienced this in my 2022. It's luckily not too often, but there are a couple times that the delay made things a little close for comfort.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
This issue went away in my '21 after the DEF Inducement recall. Granted that doesn't help you if your truck doesn't have the recall. I would maybe ask your service manager at your dealer if they could upload that latest PCM Flash/Service Pack. Mine only took about 30 minutes while I waited there. Hoping they can help fix this for you. You and your passenger's safety is paramount, and not being able to go is just as dangerous as not being able to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread