5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram tailgate won't open all the way with travel trailer

mtjag

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, but can't seem to find a thread on this issue with the Ram tailgate while towing. So, with our new travel trailer, the tailgate will only open about 12"-14" connected to the trailer. If I extend the receiver hitch out to the second slot, then the tailgate will open all the way. My question is, how much additional leverage/weight does extending the receiver hitch out to the second slot cause? The dry weight of this TT is only 4875, but the tongue weight is about 800lbs which is more than 15% of the trailer weight. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be an issue.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Only way to really know is to find a scale and get you various axle weights. If you are not already using a weight distributing hitch with sway control I highly recommend you get one. I tow a 20ft RPod that is not very heavy put tows a lot better once I got the wd hitch.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you have that high of a payload on the hitch on a Limited tbh. My payload with my kids and wife in the truck is only 437lbs.

mtjag

Reaction score
Only way to really know is to find a scale and get you various axle weights. If you are not already using a weight distributing hitch with sway control I highly recommend you get one. I tow a 20ft RPod that is not very heavy put tows a lot better once I got the wd hitch.
Yes, we have the Andersen WDH and it's great

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem, but can't seem to find a thread on this issue with the Ram tailgate while towing. So, with our new travel trailer, the tailgate will only open about 12"-14" connected to the trailer. If I extend the receiver hitch out to the second slot, then the tailgate will open all the way. My question is, how much additional leverage/weight does extending the receiver hitch out to the second slot cause? The dry weight of this TT is only 4875, but the tongue weight is about 800lbs which is more than 15% of the trailer weight. Just wanted to make sure this wasn't going to be an issue.
What hitch are you using (edit: I see it's the Andersen) and how close are you on payload/axle ratings? Moving it back increases the moment arm, which increases force applied to the pivot. It will have an affect, even if it's handled by the truck without issue. Our dealer set up our previous Andersen hitch with the receiver extended. I moved it in, and it was a noticeable improvement in towing. But, our trailer is heavier and our tongue weight is lower.

Is your tailgate hitting the trailer jack? I'd rather rotate that if it gives you the clearance.

drydocked

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my tailgate hitting the power jack when I first bought my truck. I installed an extended shank on my weight distribution hitch to give me clearance to open the tailgate. Last summer I replaced the OEM power jack with a bulldog 3500# unit and I found that the bulldog jack gave me more clearance for the tailgate and I was able to put the shorter shank back on and open the tailgate. The extended shank worked but I wasn't real comfortable with the extra force it applied to the receiver.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Using the Equalizer WDH extended mine far enough that I can open the tailgate. They can commonly be had (around here) on the used market for under $200.

mtjag

Reaction score
What hitch are you using (edit: I see it's the Andersen) and how close are you on payload/axle ratings? Moving it back increases the moment arm, which increases force applied to the pivot. It will have an affect, even if it's handled by the truck without issue. Our dealer set up our previous Andersen hitch with the receiver extended. I moved it in, and it was a noticeable improvement in towing. But, our trailer is heavier and our tongue weight is lower.

Is your tailgate hitting the trailer jack? I'd rather rotate that if it gives you the clearance.
you are correct in that moving the hitch back to the second slot does increase the force of the pivot or leverage. I asked Andersen about it and they said it was ok to do so, but I do notice how the front end of the truck now seems to be a bit lighter. That being said, it still pulls ok, but I would prefer to return to the first slot so that it is more balanced. I have another question. When I hook up to the trailer, the suspension will not adjust up or down once the load is on and the trailer brakes are connected. Is there a way to be able to lower or raise the suspension without disconnecting from the trailer?

stancedeuros

Reaction score
Don't know if this will fix your problem, but you can turn the powerhead on the jack sideways, giving a couple more inches of clearance.

This is what I did. I turned and clocked my power jack 90 degrees and its worked perfect. Now the pup can climb up into the rig while we are still trailered up.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
you are correct in that moving the hitch back to the second slot does increase the force of the pivot or leverage. I asked Andersen about it and they said it was ok to do so, but I do notice how the front end of the truck now seems to be a bit lighter. That being said, it still pulls ok, but I would prefer to return to the first slot so that it is more balanced. I have another question. When I hook up to the trailer, the suspension will not adjust up or down once the load is on and the trailer brakes are connected. Is there a way to be able to lower or raise the suspension without disconnecting from the trailer?

It should auto-level back to the "normal" setting once the trailer is connected, so long as you follow the procedure for connecting the trailer and you're not over weight for what the air suspension can account for.

From there, it will remain in "normal" until the trailer is disconnected to avoid changing the towing dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread