5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Squeezing in on Silverado

pgers22

Reaction score
just go and drive a silverado for yourself. Interior is nothing special and the ride quality just isnt there. Ram is a homerun!!!!!

alangsam

Reaction score
Or, How many excuses can a GM spokesman come up with, blaming everything BUT their half assed truck.

I wonder if he has sat in a 2019 ram. For an all new truck the Silverado/sierra feels like an old truck on the inside. The interior is basically the same hard plastic everywhere. The sierra Denali looks good from the outside but feels like a 30k truck on the inside. They blew it with their “new” truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Bednar

Reaction score
I always think it is odd that when they are touting the new 2019 Chevy during commercials they never show the interior. The only thing I have been able to actually see is a quarter of the steering wheel where the driver is holding it. Has anyone seen them advertise the interior?

Had the 2019 Ram only changed the body design I seriously doubt I was have traded my 2015 Laramie Rambox. Once I saw the interior of the 2019 Ram I was hooked. I purchased the 2019 Billet Silver Limited and absolutely love the truck.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
GM better step it up ... Look internal instead of slagging off competitors. I grew up a GM guy, have had dozens of them. And you'd have no chance talking my wife out of her older Denali. But when I went looking for a truck this time, I ended up in a new Ram. Nicer looking, superior interior, better performance all around. Was the pricing an incentive? Yes, to a degree. I had already decided it was Ram over Silverado, so getting a much sweeter deal just made me feel that much better about my choice.

chad202

Reaction score
I’ve been GM my whole life until 2mths ago when I purchased my first RAM. So far hands the best truck I’ve owned. Ride, power, fuel mileage, interior comfort and overall looks on this truck are great.

magnum74

Reaction score
The only thing GM can do is provide huge discounts and update their brand new truck with features found in Ram and Ford. How did they think that offering less, limiting driveline configurations and not competing option for option would be a good plan for the new platform? I'm a 2016 Sierra 2500 owner right now and will be replacing my truck in less than 2 years. If I had to buy today I likely wouldn't bother with GM. The 6.4 /8-speed Ram HD is looking pretty good to me.

alangsam

Reaction score
The only thing GM can do is provide huge discounts and update their brand new truck with features found in Ram and Ford. How did they think that offering less, limiting driveline configurations and not competing option for option would be a good plan for the new platform? I'm a 2016 Sierra 2500 owner right now and will be replacing my truck in less than 2 years. If I had to buy today I likely wouldn't bother with GM. The 6.4 /8-speed Ram HD is looking pretty good to me.
Interesting thing is they are not discounting much at all right now. They seem to be focused on margin vs units. I started out wanting a Denali 1500 as the Yukon xl we have has been great. The Denali is nothing like the Yukon inside feels cheap and it’s missing things like active cruise control and parking assist. Things I will use. The Yukon has coil springs so rides well the Denali rides harsh. Even the steering wheel is thinner. They really blew it.

grinch72

Reaction score
THIS! While I like to see the gains, in the end it won't matter much... At least not this year!

Ram Pickups Outsold the Chevy Silverado Last Quarter. So What?
New Fiat Chrysler (NYSE: FCAU) boss Mike Manley has set a goal of getting the Ram truck brand into second place in the pickup wars. Ram made progress on that front in 2018, posting a 7% increase in its U.S. deliveries, whereas sales of General Motors' (NYSE: GM) competing Chevy Silverado didn't grow last year. Nevertheless, GM ended 2018 with more than 585,000 domestic Silverado deliveries, well ahead of Ram's full-year total of 536,980.

By contrast, Ram did overtake the Chevy Silverado in the domestic market for the first quarter of 2019. Yet while this development captured plenty of headlines, it was not nearly as significant as it may have appeared.

Ram gains at Chevy's expense
During the first quarter, GM's full-size pickup sales plunged, led by a 16% decline in deliveries of the Chevy Silverado. Meanwhile, Ram pickup sales soared 15% to 120,026 units, compared to just 114,313 for the Silverado.

Fiat Chrysler attributed Ram's stellar performance to the company's strategy of building two different versions of the Ram pickup this year. In addition to the all-new version of the Ram 1500 that was launched last year, the company is still building cheaper Ram Classic pickups based on the previous-generation architecture.

While Fiat Chrysler did make significant market share gains at GM's expense, the latter still has a huge lead when you look beyond the Chevy Silverado. The GMC Sierra -- essentially an upscale twin to the Silverado -- accounted for another 40,546 domestic deliveries last quarter. By contrast, Fiat Chrysler doesn't have any other pickups in the market yet (though that will change soon with the arrival of the Jeep Gladiator midsize pickup later this year).

Counting both the Silverado and the Sierra, GM's full-size pickup deliveries exceeded Ram's by 29% in the first quarter. Adding in the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon midsize pickup models, GM delivered 195,307 pickups in the U.S. last quarter, trouncing Fiat Chrysler by 63%.

Chevy will gain as availability improves
Even looking at the Ram vs. Chevy Silverado comparison alone, Ram's victory last quarter was a bit misleading. GM and Fiat Chrysler both released upgraded versions of their light-duty pickups (e.g., the Chevy Silverado 1500 and Ram 1500) last year, but the Ram launch occurred first.

As a result, General Motors still didn't have full inventory of its new pickup models in the first quarter. The automaker noted that combined sales of the Chevy Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 crew-cab models jumped 20% last quarter. Those were the first 2019 truck models to go into production for GM. But this was offset by lower sales of the cheaper regular-cab and extended-cab models, which didn't go into volume production until March.

Availability of these lower-priced versions of the 2019 Chevy Silverado should improve steadily over the next several months, driving a rebound in deliveries. Sales results in the second half of the year will provide a fairer comparison of how Fiat Chrysler's Ram trucks are doing compared to the Chevy Silverado.

Profitability matters, too
Another factor worth mentioning is that Fiat Chrysler appears to be resorting to huge discounts to boost Ram's share of the pickup market. Incentives for Ram trucks routinely reach $10,000 or even $15,000, whereas GM has stuck with more moderate promotions for the Chevy Silverado.

As a result, even if Ram trucks outsell the Chevy Silverado -- as occurred last quarter -- it's a safe bet that the Chevy Silverado franchise is far more lucrative. In the long run, the key question for investors is whether Fiat Chrysler is creating loyal customers who will continue to buy Ram trucks in the future regardless of pricing trends or if the company will need to keep offering aggressive discounts indefinitely to hold onto its market share gains.

To be fair, the 2019 Ram 1500 has received plenty of accolades, including being named the 2019 North American Truck of the Year. Thus, it wouldn't be surprising to see Ram gain some market share even without aggressive discounting.

Nevertheless, last quarter's results didn't reflect a fair comparison. By the second half of 2019, the Chevy Silverado will probably have a comfortable lead over Ram in the U.S. pickup market once again. And including all of its other pickup models, General Motors is likely to maintain a huge advantage relative to Fiat Chrysler for the foreseeable future.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
So if its not fair to compare Ram to Silverado now, when is it far to compare them? Once 5th gen rams started hitting the dealer lots (around last April or May i think) Ram started seeing record retail sales and were positive from that point onward. They also only had limited configurations and options available at the start. So why isnt SIliverado and Sierra seeing the same thing in Q1 2019 as Ram started seeing in Q2 2018? (rhetorical question)

The incentive excuse is largely garbage. Silverado started incentives in January along with their massive ad campaigns and just like Ram large incentives only applied to the high volume trims. Jan was over 6k March was like 9k and now April is 9500 for silverado with 1500 on some other trims. Both have higher incentives on the previous generation trucks. Sierra had 19% off MSRP on 2018 for several months.

Silverado also has the new 4500, 5500, and 6500 now, so that should be helping them a little - haven't heard a peep on how those are doing.

Only GM is to blame for not having full inventory of 2019 models now 4 months into 2019
Only GM is to blame for not continuing to offer the old generation in multiple configurations
Only GM is to blame for not offering equivalent options at an equivalent value

At some point you gotta call a spade a spade. Ram out-launched GM, with a better product, and is continuing to put pressure on them selling multiple configurations of the older product at better value.

Ram will have the new HDs beginning in Q2 and second half of 2019 as well...so i'm not sure why the above article would be so confident that Silverado will come out on top. I guess we'll see what happens. As long as Ram and FCA are profitable it doesn't really matter how they get there. The fact that they are the only brand outpacing the segment growth and the gains seen in retail market share are impressive.

For the record i think it will be very hard for Ram to see gains year over year in Q3 and Q4 due to how massive 2018 Q3 and Q4 were. If they can outperform the second half of last year this year then that will really be something.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This just shows what we already know. There is something that is making people move to a new brand. Excuses are just that, numbers talk and Dodge and Ram have been innovating and accessorizing for some time now.... Bought my first truck in 1991 and I converted from Chevy/GMC in 1998. Haven't looked back and have no reason to now. Love my Ram!

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Another article with a semi follow up

Some quotes that stuck out to me

"Acevedo said FCA is also addressing a market reality with its incentives. Some consumers who want a truck are getting priced out of the market."

"
Michelle Krebs, executive analyst with Cox Automotive’s Autotrader, said GM and FCA are simply engaging in different strategies. GM would love to be in second place in the segment, but the company is focused on profits.

“The fact of the matter is Ram beat Chevy Silverado, period. That’s part of their strategy. GM is focused on profits and has been very restrained on incentives. Ram has been aggressive on incentives."

Why does no article bring up the Luke Warm to downright disappointed reviews the redesigned Silverado had?

Hell Car and Driver called it a $70K kick in the gut when compared to the Ram. And they weren't the only ones.

magnum74

Reaction score
This just shows what we already know. There is something that is making people move to a new brand. Excuses are just that, numbers talk and Dodge and Ram have been innovating and accessorizing for some time now.... Bought my first truck in 1991 and I converted from Chevy/GMC in 1998. Haven't looked back and have no reason to now. Love my Ram!
Experienced truck buyers can look at the GM's and see some of the good but causal truck buyers will cross-shop with Ram and Ford and wonder how the GM can cost the same or more. Ram will likely dominate minivan and SUV converts as they jump to a crewcab family hauler. GM will be taking a firm backseat. Maybe they're happy selling less for more and maybe the loyal buyers will love the simplicity and lack of options and configurations but the brand has to be suffering right now. I can't remember a new truck model taking as much flack as they have with this roll out and deservedly so. A lot of of the criticism is from current owners like me.

Users who are viewing this thread