5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Revolutionary... yet Problematic. Why does our favorite brand keep subjecting us to this?

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Please OP here. .
Let's get back to if FCA can possibly get to a point where they care about quality control, fixing what is wrong and really caring.
Can they change their course, or will it take Much time?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
They can do whatever they want whenever they want to do it. Unlikely they will, tho.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
The symptom I took the Ram to the dealer for is a loud tick from the engine when idling. Most Hemi's have the Hemi tick (all of mine did) and it is harmless, but this tick was louder than that. If you leave the tick long enough, you'll eventually start getting error codes for the cylinder that's affected by the damaged cam lobe, but I brought it in before that happened.

Supposedly, cam lifters in 2015+ model years no longer have this problem. We haven't had a problem since they were replaced - 35,000 miles ago now.
Understood. Thanks for the detail.

RJS

Reaction score
Also 55 and this is my first Ram. If it doesn't work like they said it would I'll never buy another. I usually trade every 2-3 years. So far, it's doing OK, but I hold my breath every time I drive it. Not a great new truck experience.
At 76 if I quit buying any brand of vehicle that I had issues with the only brand left would be a Schwinn. Breath easy, life's to short. I'm fairly confident from the issues my dealer has dealt with that he has my back so I'm just enjoying the ride currently in my 19 Laramie.(y)
I've had engines replaced in my GM products, lost a computer a Ford truck, had corrosion issues in a recent Impala but bought my first Ram used in 2015. Had good luck with it and bought the 19 as I liked it better than the others. I'll go back to Ford or GM when they build a better one. Wife has had Toyota's for the last 15 years with good luck but just not my type of truck so onward I venture with Rams.

Last edited:

steveved

Reaction score
Please OP here. .
Let's get back to if FCA can possibly get to a point where they care about quality control, fixing what is wrong and really caring.
Can they change their course, or will it take Much time?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Can FCA possibly get to a point where they care about quality control? Seriously, we are talking about a company ultimately owned by FIAT. Look up FIAT quality issues. You know the acronym is "Fix It Again Tony". I think the current level of quality is the best we can all hope for. And honestly, it seems consistent across the industry. Take a peek at the GM Truck forum for the 2019 - 2020 and the Ford forum. You will see similar quality issues there.

Just my 2 cents...

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
Apparenty you haven't been reporting enough issues with the truck you didn't buy.

At 76 if I quit buying any brand of vehicle that I had issues with the only brand left would be a Schwinn. Breath easy, life's to short. I'm fairly confident from the issues my dealer has dealt with that he has my back so I'm just enjoying the ride currently in my 19 Laramie.(y)
I've had engines replaced in my GM products, lost a computer a Ford truck, had corrosion issues in a recent Impala but bought my first Ram used in 2015. Had good luck with it and bought the 19 as I liked it better than the others. I'll go back to Ford or GM when they build a better one. Wife has had Toyota's for the last 15 years with good luck but just not my type of truck so onward I venture with Rams.
My money...my choice. No stress. I'm in and out every 2 years or so...if it got too bad I'd dump it sooner. There's always another new shiny thing.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My two cents:

These new RAMs are great trucks. IMO, they are presently the coolest trucks that money can buy.

However, they come with a few quirks, and you will likely need to use the warranty to correct one or more issues that should have been addressed by QC before it left the factory.

I’ve had my truck for around 15 months and 15000 miles. It has been mostly trouble free, but it has also had a couple of sleepovers at the dealership for minor quality related issues within the first six months of ownership.

The first few months were definitely a little bit frustrating. Like many others on this forum I was second guessing my decision to buy a FCA product.

However - knock on wood - the past 9 months or so have been trouble free, and I am really just enjoying my truck.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
633,694 trucks were reported sold in 2019 by FCA, and according to the polls on our forums, 700ish people reported problems? Granted these are rough numbers, and the sales numbers do not include early 19 builds that were sold in 2018. And not all people who have had issues, probably have not reported them on the polls. But.... I'll take those odds.

I have 20k on my truck, and yes. I've had a few slight issues. A leaking third brake light, an upper glovebox replacement, and an update to the mopar lift kit. All my issues were resolved without a problem at the dealership. Buying the first year of a remodel can leave you having to work out some quirks and bugs, but that comes with some expectation.

OP, as mentioned by another member on this thread, forums can have a lot people on here complaining about issues, or looking for advice on how to solve problems. Most of the time, you never hear from the happy campers, of which I am. Dont be so quick to criticize these trucks, when you do not have one.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
633,694 trucks were reported sold in 2019 by FCA, and according to the polls on our forums, 700ish people reported problems? Granted these are rough numbers, and the sales numbers do not include early 19 builds that were sold in 2018. And not all people who have had issues, probably have not reported them on the polls. But.... I'll take those odds.

I have 20k on my truck, and yes. I've had a few slight issues. A leaking third brake light, an upper glovebox replacement, and an update to the mopar lift kit. All my issues were resolved without a problem at the dealership. Buying the first year of a remodel can leave you having to work out some quirks and bugs, but that comes with some expectation.

OP, as mentioned by another member on this thread, forums can have a lot people on here complaining about issues, or looking for advice on how to solve problems. Most of the time, you never hear from the happy campers, of which I am. Dont be so quick to criticize these trucks, when you do not have one.

Yeah, accept there isn’t 633,694 members on this forum so you’re point isn’t really valid.

NHRoadking

Reaction score
JD Power and others rate Chrysler products (or FCA) at the bottom for quality and reliability. The Ram is a great truck in many regards, but its reputation for quality and reliability is lacking.

I've been looking at them for over a year and most of them on the dealer's lot seems to have issues with paint, body panels, fitment, and weak ac. The salesmen make excuses when I point out the issues.

Excusing the poor level of quality, or saying other brands have issues too is a non-starter for me. We should demand quality and reward it with our dollars. Otherwise, there is no incentive for them to improve.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m one of the lucky ones with a bunch of issues, but I’m more frustrated with how things have been handled at the dealership level.

There is a TSB or Star Case to resolve just about every issue I’ve had and all repairs have been covered under warranty. However, when I go in for service it’s a constant struggle to get the dealership to do anything. Most of the TSBs say “If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above perform the Repair Procedure” and don’t even require the dealership to diagnose or verify anything, yet I get the canned response “could not duplicate” or “performs as expected”.

I shouldn’t have to come to this forum, look up my issues, print the appropriate TSB or Star Case to take to the dealership to show them how to do their job. And then still have to go back and forth with them several times to get them to do the repairs. I’ve even had a case open with RamCares each time to help push things along. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if RamCares wasn’t involved.

I love my truck and wouldn’t trade it for anything on the road, but it sure would be nice to go to the dealership and have them fix my issues correctly the first time without any push back.

steveved

Reaction score
I’m one of the lucky ones with a bunch of issues, but I’m more frustrated with how things have been handled at the dealership level.

There is a TSB or Star Case to resolve just about every issue I’ve had and all repairs have been covered under warranty. However, when I go in for service it’s a constant struggle to get the dealership to do anything. Most of the TSBs say “If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above perform the Repair Procedure” and don’t even require the dealership to diagnose or verify anything, yet I get the canned response “could not duplicate” or “performs as expected”.

I shouldn’t have to come to this forum, look up my issues, print the appropriate TSB or Star Case to take to the dealership to show them how to do their job. And then still have to go back and forth with them several times to get them to do the repairs. I’ve even had a case open with RamCares each time to help push things along. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if RamCares wasn’t involved.

I love my truck and wouldn’t trade it for anything on the road, but it sure would be nice to go to the dealership and have them fix my issues correctly the first time without any push back.

Wow Man, I would have sought out a different dealer after the first "could not duplicate". **** happens with these complicated vehicles nowadays, but we should not have to fight with the dealer to get them to handle an issue with a known TSB.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, and the one thing I’d add is that many of these rather complicated subsystems are outsourced to third-party suppliers. It is hard enough to get everything working when it’s all designed and built in-house. I can only imagine the additional challenges introduced when multiple manufacturers are involved.
Yes this is 100% true because integration failures can & will be much harder to fix. Further troubles can occur if you outsource the build by only providing the engineering design specs as opposed to building in house and having complete control over the entire process. Its the Ram name on the line not some sub-contractors. Cheaper i'm sure, but definitely a risk that can come back to bite you.

Users who are viewing this thread