5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM Production Line (including TRX)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Watching this just realized that they‘re still building 4th gen models.

Anyone else think this is boneheaded and they should let them die already? The 5th gens have been around for three years now, and perhaps freeing the assembly line and dedicating it to 5th gens only would make more sense to me.

What are y’all’s opinions on this?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they’re still selling, I think it’s good for them to still offer the 1500 Classic. It offers some affordability for someone looking to get into a truck, but maybe doesn’t need all the upgrades of the new 1500. Ram has really narrowed the 1500 Classic product line over the last couple years.

Perhaps once the Heavy Duty’s finally migrate to the updated body, the new 1500 Classic will go away? It probably still makes sense to keep it since the Heavy Duty’s are still using the same 4th Gen body.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i think it's the opposite of boneheaded... they are making money on an existing product line with no new R&D, no new tooling, no new fixtures. If customers are still buying them, why would they stop making them?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
i think it's the opposite of boneheaded... they are making money on an existing product line with no new R&D, no new tooling, no new fixtures. If customers are still buying them, why would they stop making them?
Yeah, but the 5th gens don’t require new R&D, tooling or fixtures either as it has been around three years now. 5th gen RAMs are cheaper than other trucks already. I would think that cutting the 4th gens and dedicating solely to the new body style would make sense. Anyway, I am not expert on this. Just my personal thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So, are they continuing with the manufacturing of the "cheaper" 4th Gens so they can keep the price up on the 5th Gens? Seems to me if they stopped building the older bodies and dedicated those resources to the newer ones, they could fill some of the existing orders a little quicker, too.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Wonder if they leave the nifty little lifting bracket on the engine trans combo or pull it down the line somewhere?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
So, are they continuing with the manufacturing of the "cheaper" 4th Gens so they can keep the price up on the 5th Gens? Seems to me if they stopped building the older bodies and dedicated those resources to the newer ones, they could fill some of the existing orders a little quicker, too.
That was my initial comment. It would make sense to drop the 4th gen and dedicate production the new body style. Also, perhaps they could concentrate on better QC instead of churning out truck after truck with cracked rear window bezels, leaks, third light water intrusion, etc. You know, what they should have been doing all along…

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Despite what the video seems to show, 4th and 5th gens are not built in the same plant.

4th gens are built in Warren, Mi and Saltio, Mx.

5th gens are built in Sterling Heights, Mi.

So yes it would require new tooling, fixtures, etc for those plants to build additional 5th gens. Who knows, It may yet happen since SHAP runs constant OT and still can't keep up with demand.

Users who are viewing this thread