5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram PCM Update/recall

bcso0416

Reaction score
I just received a notification about my 2020 1500 PCM update (CSN Y40). It says that it's something required in California for the emissions testing and inspections on 2020 model 1500 trucks and that other states may have the same issue. In TN there are no such tests, which may or may not be a good thing. Anyway, I was just wondering what some of our forum professionals think of this update. especially those who live where there are no inspections. I am not having any issues and not sure about having this update preformed as I don't want anything to affect my MPG. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just received a notification about my 2020 1500 PCM update (CSN Y40). It says that it's something required in California for the emissions testing and inspections on 2020 model 1500 trucks and that other states may have the same issue. In TN there are no such tests, which may or may not be a good thing. Anyway, I was just wondering what some of our forum professionals think of this update. especially those who live where there are no inspections. I am not having any issues and not sure about having this update preformed as I don't want anything to affect my MPG. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
No issues, no need to update. I have a 2020 too, but haven't received anything like that. I don't like in California, so it wouldn't pertain to me either.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In NH if the Check Engine Light is out you pass. Other stuff is Brakes, Tires,
Heat, and Wiper type things.

I do have a spare PCM that I will get cloned with my GDE tune on it.

Malodave

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
In NH if the Check Engine Light is out you pass. Other stuff is Brakes, Tires,
Heat, and Wiper type things.

I do have a spare PCM that I will get cloned with my GDE tune on it.

Malodave
Same in Mass at least for gas engines. Unless you have a clear exhaust leak or something blatantly screws up like spraying oil out of your hood or exhaust with solid black cubes falling out on the ground you will pass emissions. Tunes or whatever on the engine are irrelevant and transparent to the inspections. California is just bonkers with laws and regulations, even changing your cold air intake is against the law there and will fail inspection LOL. I remember having an older truck pass inspection with the exhaust not connected and zip tied up to look like it was still there, and at a certain age you no longer need to even pass emissions and only need to pass safety like headlights and stuff.
More of a reason to never buy a car/truck that gets registered in Cali imo.

Users who are viewing this thread