5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Bed extender

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I finally got around putting my Ram bed extender on the other day. Installation wasn't too hard. I did have to readjust the driver side extender bracket to the 10 o'clock position & the passenger side bracket to the 2 o'clock position because extender would hit the rear of the bike while trying to reinstall it. Obviously, if I had the 6'4" bed, this wouldn't have been a problem. 20190719_164902.jpg 20190719_183459.jpg 20190719_183431.jpg 20190719_183417.jpg

Repsol69

Reaction score
Nice ramp.... where do you put it once the bikes on the truck?? How much weight does it hold?? I’d love to use something like like for my Harley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Nice ramp.... where do you put it once the bikes on the truck?? How much weight does it hold?? I’d love to use something like like for my Harley

The ramp comes in 3 sections and folds in the middle. It's rated for 1500lbs. The folded sections go right next to the bike with no problem. All 3 sections weigh about 50 Lbs. This particular ramp retails for about $325 new. I lucked out and found a slightly used one for $140 on Ebay from a seller that was relatively close to me.

MPMRam

Reaction score
The ramp comes in 3 sections and folds in the middle. It's rated for 1500lbs. The folded sections go right next to the bike with no problem. All 3 sections weigh about 50 Lbs. This particular ramp retails for about $325 new. I lucked out and found a slightly used one for $140 on Ebay from a seller that was relatively close to me.

Nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's HAMMER time! Love that bike, used to sell Victory Motorcycles, and I'm super sad they're gone now.

I've also had a bike in the back, but I didn't have the extender. Just tied everything down and it was fine. The extender sure would have added a layer of comfort though.

Repsol69

Reaction score
How much weight can that tail gate handle?? Does anyone know?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
How much weight can that tail gate handle?? Does anyone know?

Good question. Truck manufactures don't release tailgate weight limits due to liability issues. The main cause of tailgate failure is the cable that supports the tailgate snapping. I know the bed capacity on the 1500 Crew Cab is 1660 lbs. When I get a chance, I'll see if there's some type of weight limit on my Tailgate cable. Here is a semi-helpful site that discusses tailgate weight limits:
http://ridertailgate.com/loading-truck-bed-using-ramps-s1/#tailgate-failure
I'm confident my tailgate can handle the weight of me & my motorcycle which totals approx 800 lbs. The tailgate will be holding the 800 lbs for about 15 seconds while I ride the bike up the ramp. Once loaded & secured in the bed, my rear tire will be sitting about in the middle of the tailgate. The weight on the tailgate can't be more than 200lbs for extended periods.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
This explains more. I guess I didn't see this in the 10 paged mini owners manual that came with my truck. Lol
Since most of the weight on my motorcycle is from the back of the engine to the front wheel, which is firmly inside of the bed, I should be Ok. Still going to look at the cable though.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This explains more. I guess I didn't see this in the 10 paged mini owners manual that came with my truck. Lol
Since most of the weight on my motorcycle is from the back of the engine to the front wheel, which is firmly inside of the bed, I should be Ok. Still going to look at the cable though.

The cables don't have any rating on them. I always tie the bikes down at the front only (obviously using the forks). This prevents there ever being too much pressure on the gate when transporting a motorcycle.

Statically, the gate can hold way more than 150 lbs, and I want to say somewhere that I read it's rated for 2,000 static load. But running down the road with the potential for dynamic load to be applied, the 150 lbs is a conservative reduction.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
The cables don't have any rating on them. I always tie the bikes down at the front only (obviously using the forks). This prevents there ever being too much pressure on the gate when transporting a motorcycle.

Statically, the gate can hold way more than 150 lbs, and I want to say somewhere that I read it's rated for 2,000 static load. But running down the road with the potential for dynamic load to be applied, the 150 lbs is a conservative reduction.
I would be worried about the back tire of the moving from side to side and possibly damaging the sided of the truck bed and the bike. according to the pic, the rear axel of the bike sits very close to where the bed & tailgate meet. The one time used ratched straps to hold down the bike in the truck bed, I straped the frame of the bike (directly in front of the engine) to the front Bed tie downs. In the rear of the bike, I strapped the sway bar (About mid-way between the rear axel & transmission) on both sides of the bike. I forgot to take a pic of this. This was right after I picked up the ramps but before I got the Bed extender. To keep possible excess static weight off the tailgate, I'll ratched the rear straps snugly but not crazy tight.

Attachments

• Victory Ram.jpg
    Victory Ram.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 33

Brisoup1

Reaction score
It's HAMMER time! Love that bike, used to sell Victory Motorcycles, and I'm super sad they're gone now.

I've also had a bike in the back, but I didn't have the extender. Just tied everything down and it was fine. The extender sure would have added a layer of comfort though.
View attachment 31323
View attachment 31324
I like that VTX 1800 in your bed. I had a 2008 VTX 1800F since new until 3 years ago when some inattentive driver cut me off while I was going 60 MPH on a state road. I hit the rear of his car and then me and the bike laid down on the road. Bike was totaled but it saved me from very serious injuries. I ended getting some nasty road rash to my left arm, hand & stomach but no broken bones.
Man, I miss that bike. That thing was a beast that ran like a raped ape. Honda stopped making VTX 1800's after 2009 or I would have bought another one. 20130406_143955.jpg

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the Amp Research HD Max so that i could utilize the entire tailgate area. One thing I miss that my ford f-150 had was that the bed extender would detach and fold away into the wheel wells.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would be worried about the back tire of the moving from side to side and possibly damaging the sided of the truck bed and the bike.

When I do cruisers, I like to put them on their kickstand in the bed, straighten the handlebars so that the front wheel is scrubbing up against the bulkhead and will stay there, take the first ratchet strap and tighten it up so that it becomes taught just as it starts to apply pressure to the forks on the kickstand side of the bike. (I start ratcheting with slack, that way I know the fabric will grip before it gets taught). Then I go to the other side and tighten down the strap so that the forks are compressed. You have to get used to the travel of the forks and the lengths of the ratchet straps to get the right balance, but once you have it down you'll do it without thinking. It compresses the forks, pulls the bike upright a bit, and keeps the kickstand in contact with the truck. This gives me three points of contact (stand and the tires) plus the ratchet straps to the truck bed, and only a little pressure on the kickstand, so that it doesn't snap. I also always leave the bike in gear.

Dirtbikes and other upright types usually require a strap across the rear tire just to keep it from hopping, but I've never had a cruiser move, especially big one's like ours, with this method. My bike went 1500 miles fron CT to SWFL immediately after those pics were taken of it in my truck. It didn't move an inch.

I like that VTX 1800 in your bed. I had a 2008 VTX 1800F since new until 3 years ago when some inattentive driver cut me off while I was going 60 MPH on a state road. I hit the rear of his car and then me and the bike laid down on the road. Bike was totaled but it saved me from very serious injuries. I ended getting some nasty road rash to my left arm, hand & stomach but no broken bones.
Man, I miss that bike. That thing was a beast that ran like a raped ape. Honda stopped making VTX 1800's after 2009 or I would have bought another one. View attachment 31389

The end of the VTX was the end of an era for Honda. They made AMAZING products in the early 00's. I bought mine used with 5k miles on it from a Honda tech who bought it new. Mines an 05 VTX1800 F3, so we have very similar taste! I will always have a HEALTHY respect for how quick this bike is, because it will break the rear loose by just cracking the throttle off idle while rolling. Love the way it handles, moves, and feels sturdy when you ride it. Short of a situation like yours where unfortunately you didn't have a say in it, I will never get rid of this bike.

Just noticed, and not meaning to derail any more, but, seeing how we're on the topic, what seat is that on your bike? One thing I do need to change is the F seat which pushes you forward right at the tailbone, and seeing how I'm tall and the bike is low, I don't need the extra push lol.

Last edited:

Brisoup1

Reaction score
When I do cruisers, I like to put them on their kickstand in the bed, straighten the handlebars so that the front wheel is scrubbing up against the bulkhead and will stay there, take the first ratchet strap and tighten it up so that it becomes taught just as it starts to apply pressure to the forks on the kickstand side of the bike. (I start ratcheting with slack, that way I know the fabric will grip before it gets taught). Then I go to the other side and tighten down the strap so that the forks are compressed. You have to get used to the travel of the forks and the lengths of the ratchet straps to get the right balance, but once you have it down you'll do it without thinking. It compresses the forks, pulls the bike upright a bit, and keeps the kickstand in contact with the truck. This gives me three points of contact (stand and the tires) plus the ratchet straps to the truck bed, and only a little pressure on the kickstand, so that it doesn't snap. I also always leave the bike in gear.

Dirtbikes and other upright types usually require a strap across the rear tire just to keep it from hopping, but I've never had a cruiser move, especially big one's like ours, with this method. My bike went 1500 miles fron CT to SWFL immediately after those pics were taken of it in my truck. It didn't move an inch.

The end of the VTX was the end of an era for Honda. They made AMAZING products in the early 00's. I bought mine used with 5k miles on it from a Honda tech who bought it new. Mines an 05 VTX1800 F3, so we have very similar taste! I will always have a HEALTHY respect for how quick this bike is, because it will break the rear loose by just cracking the throttle off idle while rolling. Love the way it handles, moves, and feels sturdy when you ride it. Short of a situation like yours where unfortunately you didn't have a say in it, I will never get rid of this bike.

Just noticed, and not meaning to derail any more, but, seeing how we're on the topic, what seat is that on your bike? One thing I do need to change is the F seat which pushes you forward right at the tailbone, and seeing how I'm tall and the bike is low, I don't need the extra push lol.
It had a Corbin Dual tourer seat on it. It was very comfortable. I've taken that bike on a 1200 mi round trip & my back never bothered me.
Besides the power, I really liked the shaft drive it had. Bike rode so smoothly.
I like my Victory Hammer S. But it's not the same as the VTX.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread