5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 2500 or RAM3500 to Pull 5th Wheel

pmarker

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new 5th wheel and I need to buy a new truck for it. I am either looking at a RAM 2500 or RAM 3500. I am looking to buy it with a diesel engine. The specs for the trailer say the dry hitch weight is 2,605 lbs and the GVWR that includes cargo is around 15k lbs. I would like to buy the 2500 since it has coil springs and probably a better ride. The cost of the 3500 is less than $2K so I don't think that is a show stopper. My concern is that I am at the border line of the towing capacity of the 2500 and should I move up the 3500. The next question I have is if I do move up the the 3500 will the ride be noticeable stiffer than the 2500. If I went to the 3500 would the auto air leveling system improve the ride of the 3500.

I would say, if you are borderline for payload on the 2500 with that tongue weight, I would step up to the 3500. Once you add all of your stuff into the 5th wheel, you may find that payload is a major factor. The 3500 will have a stiffer ride, but will be MUCH safer when towing, which is more important to me than ride quality, and will let you carry all of your gear without concerns of going over payload. As for the air leveling system, It may help a little with the ride quality, but that is really not it's purpose.

I am looking to buy a new 5th wheel and I need to buy a new truck for it. I am either looking at a RAM 2500 or RAM 3500. I am looking to buy it with a diesel engine. The specs for the trailer say the dry hitch weight is 2,605 lbs and the GVWR that includes cargo is around 15k lbs. I would like to buy the 2500 since it has coil springs and probably a better ride. The cost of the 3500 is less than $2K so I don't think that is a show stopper. My concern is that I am at the border line of the towing capacity of the 2500 and should I move up the 3500. The next question I have is if I do move up the the 3500 will the ride be noticeable stiffer than the 2500. If I went to the 3500 would the auto air leveling system improve the ride of the 3500.
With a 2500 diesel, even if you go with a lower trim, you're going to exceed payload as soon as you put anyone in the truck or any cargo in the trailer.

With a hitch weight that high, you're going to need a gas 2500 or a 3500.

You’re gonna need a 3500 if you want diesel…
Unfortunately the 2500’s do not have the payload you need, not with the Cummins. A Hemi powered 2500 would do the job but you want the Cummins so you’re going to need a 3500.
A standard output Cummins 3500 SRW with the air suspension with check all your boxes and should handle the payload no problem!

We have several threads covering this over on HDRams.

I have an air ride 3500 HO/Aisin Limited and it rides significantly better than my (also leaf sprung) 04.5 2500. My payload is 3707, which will be on the very low end option wise - I do not have a sunroof. The HD trucks will never ride like an IFS 1500.

As said, a Diesel 2500 has a pitiful (legal) payload. The springs are also inboard where a leaf or supplemental air springs (bags) would be installed and a panhard bar and locating radius arms like the solid axle front end and that leads to side-side movement in the rear axle and therefore (IMHO) less stability.

Things that will affect the ride;
  • Air ride uses the bags for supplemental overload instead of an overload spring and that softens the ride.
  • Keep the tire pressures low when not towing. I run 55/50 when empty on Falken 285/65R20. The factory transforce are junk tires.
  • 18" wheels/tires will ride a bit better.
  • Longer wheelbase = better ride.

Dry hitch weight is almost meaningless. 18-20% of the GVWR of the 5th wheel trailer is what you should expect. You'll probably be closer to 3000 than you care to think. Don't forget from your available payload to subtract passengers and gear, hitch.

If you're concerned about tow capacity as well as payload, double check the 3500 SO tow rating based on you trim level. 15K is not an issue but I think some of the ratings for the 3500 SO are only (lol) around 19K for a Limited CCSB 4x4. My HO CCLB is rated a little over 25K.

1) Based on those specs you’re much better off with a 3500!
2) You can never have too much truck, only too little lol
3) As someone else mentioned, if you take off the main overload spring and add airbags instead it should help the ride substantially. Then you can take it a step farther and do a leaf pack from Carli or Thuren and some upgraded shocks as well. You’d have to add airbags to the 2500 for SURE anyway so the cost of airbags would be a wash between either trucks.

1) Based on those specs you’re much better off with a 3500!
2) You can never have too much truck, only too little lol
3) As someone else mentioned, if you take off the main overload spring and add airbags instead it should help the ride substantially. Then you can take it a step farther and do a leaf pack from Carli or Thuren and some upgraded shocks as well. You’d have to add airbags to the 2500 for SURE anyway so the cost of airbags would be a wash between either trucks.

3500 is available with factory rear air (assist) suspension so it's not really necessary to go that route unless you prefer an aftermarket system. It retains the leaf spring pack but replaces the overload leaf with an auto ride height airbag system.

Some do chose to order a truck without the air and go aftermarket, many do that when they expect to be near the payload as an overload can trip an error. There was a single report of an overload warning also disabling the exhaust brake (which would really be dumb) but it was never substantiated.

I was a bit torn at first for not having much control with the factory system, but so far it has performed well. I use the Alt Trailer height option when towing my 5th wheel to get everything level. It lowers the rear 1" to a level bed (only with a load).

The bed lowering on the 2500 air is vastly different than the 3500. The 2500 being wholly air can lower 2-3" for trailer hookup. Most 3500 trucks are lucky to get 1/2" or at most 1" as the leaf pack will carry the primary load. The plus on the 3500 is that IF the system were to fail, you'd still have a suspension, perhaps payload limited to a degree, not so with the 2500 air suspension.

The 3500 air truck will also sit lower in the rear (less rake) as the bags keep the truck level.

3500 is available with factory rear air (assist) suspension so it's not really necessary to go that route unless you prefer an aftermarket system. It retains the leaf spring pack but replaces the overload leaf with an auto ride height airbag system.

Some do chose to order a truck without the air and go aftermarket, many do that when they expect to be near the payload as an overload can trip an error. There was a single report of an overload warning also disabling the exhaust brake (which would really be dumb) but it was never substantiated.

I was a bit torn at first for not having much control with the factory system, but so far it has performed well. I use the Alt Trailer height option when towing my 5th wheel to get everything level. It lowers the rear 1" to a level bed (only with a load).

The bed lowering on the 2500 air is vastly different than the 3500. The 2500 being wholly air can lower 2-3" for trailer hookup. Most 3500 trucks are lucky to get 1/2" or at most 1" as the leaf pack will carry the primary load. The plus on the 3500 is that IF the system were to fail, you'd still have a suspension, perhaps payload limited to a degree, not so with the 2500 air suspension.

The 3500 air truck will also sit lower in the rear (less rake) as the bags keep the truck level.
Oh no way? I didn’t realize that the factory air option actually replaces the overload leaf. That’s cool! The 2500 air suspension is full airbags no coils??

Oh no way? I didn’t realize that the factory air option actually replaces the overload leaf. That’s cool! The 2500 air suspension is full airbags no coils??

Correct. The overload leaf is removed and a set of exposed airbags with position sensors and a closed nitrogen inflation system are utilized. The bags sit inboard of the springs in the same location aftermarket uses.

1649474470450.png
1649474717046.png

2500 air ride replaces the coils with bags that are covered with a plastic accordion sleeve.

1649474864255.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back