5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RAM 1500 to 2500

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually considering this, even though I said I'd wait awhile, but I am curious of those who have gone from a 1500 to a 2500, what are the major differences outside of towing?

Is the 2500 as quiet as the 1500? Gas mileage probably takes a hit?

flyfingers

Reaction score
While I don't actually own a 2500 I have driven and towed with a 2017 Ram 2500 w/ Cummins to the tune of about 1,000 miles and I also did test drive a 2021 2500 with the 6.4. Although they have coil in the rear, I still find them to be a bit rough riding for my old man self. I also feel like I sort of wrestle them down the road with the steering feeling heavier than I'd like for a long drive. They have a very truck like feel to them which can be both good and bad I suppose. I do like the ride height as I feel like I sit up much taller and feel almost like I have a more commanding presence when tooling down the road. The 6.4 with the 8 speed is a great combo and really scoots it down the road - effortlessly. When test driving the '21 it seemed (to me anyway) to roll and almost push through the corners more than I liked. The 6.4 2500 road rougher than the Cummins obviously due to the weight of the diesel but was very much quieter. At highway speeds it was very smooth overall but continued to let you know you were in a 2500 at every bump.
From what I can tell, I believe the 6.4 2500 will get approx 3 - 4 mpg less than a 5.7 1500. I originally considered the 2500 over the 1500 simply due to the price. One can get a well optioned 2500 Tradesman 4x4 crew for very very close to a decently equipped 1500 Bighorn cc, 4x. All in all I think it comes down to your specific needs. If you're going to be towing 8,000 lbs or more on a constant basis or if you need the payload (6.4 2500 cc 4x has close to a 3k payload) then the choice is clear. If you enjoy quiet, effortless steering, comfort, good handling, better mpg, under 7k towing, and the ability to wash it without a ladder, the 1500 is the winner. Either way they are both hella good trucks.
I should add that I did use my iphone to record decibels in the '21 2500 with the 6.4 and it came in at 64 decibels at 65 mph on a newly paved dry concrete freeway. My wifes '17 Rav4 comes in at 66 on same highway and my '21 1500 cc, 4x, 6' 4" bed came in at 57 decibels.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the education. I don't think I've ever driven a 2500, but it sounds like there is quite a bit of difference between the two.

While this would serve for towing a trailer, it will also have to serve as a daily driver 50 miles a day. I don't think I can give up that much in overall comfort and quietness. We just need to stick with the 1500 and if end up getting a trailer, buy one that will work with the 1500.

Reverse

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the cab on the 2500 is still the 4th gen cab, which means that there are some items not available compared to the 5th gen 1500, such as telescoping steering column. There may be other differences as well.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Oh no... that's like the holy grail of features for me... GOTTA have telescoping steering. Lack of that one feature will 100% prevent me from buying it.

There are a few MUST haves for me... tele steering is one, ventilated seats, 33 gallon tank and center console. If those are not included... ain't even considering it.

flyfingers

Reaction score
Oh yeah I totally agree with the telescoping wheel. In fact that was one of my gripes too and played into the decision as well. It was comfortable enough for the test drive but I could tell that with a long drive I would want the wheel just about an inch or two closer.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh no... that's like the holy grail of features for me... GOTTA have telescoping steering. Lack of that one feature will 100% prevent me from buying it.

There are a few MUST haves for me... tele steering is one, ventilated seats, 33 gallon tank and center console. If those are not included... ain't even considering it.

31-gallon tank is standard with the 2500 (optional 50-gallon tank if you get the 8’ bed)

Users who are viewing this thread