5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram 1500 Axle

spenceroc73

Reaction score
Noob question here. I have a 2019 Tradesman (Crew Cab, Short Box, 4WD, Hemi) that I’ve recently started building up. The ultimate goal is a mix of overlanding and weekend rock crawling. I’m looking to get a re-gearing, E-locker, and some armor for my rear axle- but before I do that, I need to know the rear axle model and I can’t find a straight answer on Google. Can anyone tell me if it’s a Dana 35, 44, or 60?

Rollint

Reaction score
Noob question here. I have a 2019 Tradesman (Crew Cab, Short Box, 4WD, Hemi) that I’ve recently started building up. The ultimate goal is a mix of overlanding and weekend rock crawling. I’m looking to get a re-gearing, E-locker, and some armor for my rear axle- but before I do that, I need to know the rear axle model and I can’t find a straight answer on Google. Can anyone tell me if it’s a Dana 35, 44, or 60?
I don't really have any answers for you (helpful, right?) but did want to mention that it might be a bit of a chore to re-gear, as I believe part of the setup is friction welded into place...though I could be mistaken...just wanted to give the heads up in case you wanted to do some research about the feasibility of your plans

Krootz

Reaction score
I also saw a post about that welded gear thing Ram did with these. Kinda bummed

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Found this on the drivetrainamerica website. Should be able to tell based on the differential cover.

Attachments

• Differential-ID-Chart-Page-e1348182057479.png
    Differential-ID-Chart-Page-e1348182057479.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 112

spenceroc73

Reaction score
I don't really have any answers for you (helpful, right?) but did want to mention that it might be a bit of a chore to re-gear, as I believe part of the setup is friction welded into place...though I could be mistaken...just wanted to give the heads up in case you wanted to do some research about the feasibility of your plans
Oof. Seems like a poor design choice considering the popularity of re-gearing, but thanks for the heads up

spenceroc73

Reaction score
Found this on the drivetrainamerica website. Should be able to tell based on the differential cover.
Thanks, this is definitely helpful. I’ll have to go outside and look tomorrow but going off memory I think it’s a Dana 44.

conesmacker

Reaction score
half tons (1500) haven't used Dana rear axles for a couple of generations, and it was rare when they did. Front Axles are a different story....

I think DS trucks used American Axle rear ends, and I think the DTs use a new flavor of the 9.25" Chrysler that is now made by ZF. I don't think anything is compatible between the 9.25" Chrysler and the 9.25" ZF rear end.

Do you know if your truck is a DS (meaning a Classic 1500) or a DT (a new 5th gen 1500)?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oof. Seems like a poor design choice considering the popularity of re-gearing, but thanks for the heads up
This is only in the front. The rear you can swap as normal. Ram likes to make things difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread