5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio XM while running Waze on iphone

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Hello,

Looks like I'm about to take delivery of a 2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn this Friday. Coming from a '17 Ram 1500 Express with same 5.0 touch screen. I really wanted the 8.4 screen, but I got a pretty damn good deal (lease) on a pretty much base V8 Big Horn. I had no problem with my '17 except I hated when I had my phone plugged in and listening to the radio/SiriusXm. If I was using Waze for directions, Waze would not interrupt the radio to give directions. Waze would still run on the phone screen, but there would be no sound either through my truck speakers nor my phone. If I wanted sound through my truck speakers, I would have to press the media button and listen to whatever was on my phone.

I do have the Sirius/XM app on my phone, but I prefer not to have to fumble with my phone to change channels. Also, not ideal to keep phone off charger, since Waze would just burn through the battery.

Figured I would ask on the slim chance that something changed for the redesign or if there was a viable work around that doesn't involve ripping things apart (one again leased). I actually only found out a month ago that I could've gotten a remote start module for cheap on my 17. However, that is the one option that does come with my car. Not the end of the world...I made out perfectly fine for the last 3 years.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Not a 2020, but my 2019 LoneStar (Big Horn) works perfectly with Waze while listening to Sirius. Waze chimes in as it should, lowering the Sirius music volume so you can hear the Waze voice. I can also easily toggle between them on the 8.4 screen, although both work collaboratively regardless of which I have on the truck screen. If it matters, I have an iPhone and use CarPlay. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to try to manage Sirius via my phone app while driving. I bet the new Ram will do what you expect it to!

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Not a 2020, but my 2019 LoneStar (Big Horn) works perfectly with Waze while listening to Sirius. Waze chimes in as it should, lowering the Sirius music volume so you can hear the Waze voice. I can also easily toggle between them on the 8.4 screen, although both work collaboratively regardless of which I have on the truck screen. If it matters, I have an iPhone and use CarPlay. I agree with you that I wouldn't want to try to manage Sirius via my phone app while driving. I bet the new Ram will do what you expect it to!
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately I have and will have the 5” uConnect, non-CarPlay. Really don’t care about the other options as much as the annoyance of not getting sound during navigation.
Don’t even need the map on my screen as my newer iPhone Max is not that far off from the 5” with better quality picture.

thetalonguy

Reaction score
Just took delivery today...ummm the 5” screen does not have Sirius/XM? I’m in shock...My 17 express had the same interface and didn’t even think it wasn’t an option.
Ok, guess I’ll just use my phone app. Guess the Hemi upgrade makes it all worthwhile.

Gen3CoupeTX

Reaction score
Sorry, my bad. Completely missed that both had the smaller screen. But yes, you should enjoy the Hemi!

Users who are viewing this thread