5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio won't turn off

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a short story on my 8.4 NAV Radio.
Got in the truck on 9/15 to drive home to NYS from NC. Started up the truck and first thing I noticed was that the radio rebooted. No biggie I think so go on my way. Song titles are not appearing in SiriusXM and the channel isn't changing. No biggie again...I will pull over and stop/start the truck. Doesn't fix anything so I just Bluetooth in. Riding along for about 2 hours and bluetooth stops working so back to SiriusXM. Now here is the problem. The radio is completely unresponsive. Stuck on my #1 preset and the volume is at 21!

I cannot turn the radio off, can't turn it down or mute it - the entire system is stuck. No NAV no Bluetooth for phone calls, nothing. I am using google maps on my phone so drive a little more until I stop for gas. I stop a bit frequently thinking that each time a reset will fix it. Nope. I have no means to unhook the battery and was hesitant to stop anywhere and have it done just in case something critical stopped working - up until now it's just a LOUD radio. I drive for a good 6 hours like this - get caught in torrential downpour in PA so pullover to wait it out and finally occurs to be to call Ram cares from Guardian app.

I explained the situations and how unsafe the last 6 or so hours of driving has been. All she is able to tell me is that I will have to take it to a dealer and would she like her to call one. Certainly not - it is 6pm nobody is open and I have to get home...WHAT happened and do you understand how unsafe this is? Sorry - would you like me to call a dealer? NO! Hang up and get back in the truck...wouldn't you know it the head unit is fixed!

Not sure why I didn't think to call earlier but also they HAD to have remotely flashed something and just not told me. What a relief...first thing I did was turn the volume DOWN and put it on a channel I preferred to be on if it all got stuck again.

What an ordeal - and seriously unsafe after awhile.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yesterday experienced similar on the 8.4 NAV radio.
Had a somewhat high pitched sound coming from somewhere in the cab. Thinking it may be caused by the radio I turned it off (sound persisted) only for the radio to come back on after a minute or so, tried several times along with turning the ignition off and on, the sound persisted. Fortunately it was a short ride (2 miles + local) and I was home.

Today no annoying sound and radio stays off. I've had previous issues where I lost all my destinations and back up camera. Currently 25,000+ miles, November 24th will be 36 months.

Not so happy/pleased with my $800 "upgrade". The sound is annoying for a short period and definitely a distraction/hazard for anything beyond.

ramchaser

Reaction score
There is a software update for the UAV radios that should address these issues. The TSB is attached.

Attachments

• 08-138-21.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 33

Users who are viewing this thread