5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Radio shutting off by itself

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Started today. Wife said radio shut down several times all by itself on a short drive. Seems to do it in run or acc. Probably less than every 2 to 3 minutes over and over again. Comes back on when I manually turn radio back on again only to shut off several minutes later. Anyone else develop this problem recently? Had radio replaced once before for humming noise through speakers, but that was a long time ago. Radio has been working great for a long time. Will probably have to bring it in.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Well got an update. Went outside this morning to start the truck. Guess what? Damn thing wont start battery is dead. Have it on charger now. What a joke. Called over to dealership and explained situation. They think it could be that the radio or Uconnect system was stuck in an update and or reboot and that caused my battery to drain. Not 100% sure until I get truck to dealership. Waiting for charge on battery and off to dealership I go. Hope I don't need a new radio because that would be my third unit. Looks like this is also another dead battery issue for Ram. There are plenty of people on the forum that complained about having a dead battery for multiple reasons. At least this happened at home and I was not stranded somewhere. Just a tad bit ticked off right now.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Got a call today from the dealer that said truck was ready to go and come get it. Got there and it basically was in the same condition that I dropped it off in. Dealer tried to put on some updates, but radio would not take it. Guy behind the counter said they ordered a new radio (this is now my third one) and it should come in within this week. I asked for a loaner, but they refused. He said the dead battery could have been from the cold or other reasons and felt the rebooting was not enough of a draw to cause a dead battery. I was pissed. Truck was in my garage since rebooting started and was not left out in the cold. I said what if I get stranded because of a dead battery? He said they would possibly get me a loaner then. What a joke. I left there angry as hell. When I got home, I pulled into the garage and noticed my park sense sensors no longer working on the dash. I went into the settings between reboots to see how I turn it back on and could not find anything. By this time blood was a boiling.

Went into the house and called the service department manager and explained the situation. I told the manager that I wanted a loaner and did not want to be stranded anywhere because of a dead battery caused by a constant rebooting of the system. He told me "He did not want to get involved" and that he did not want to step on the toes of the guy behind the counter. He sent me back to the other guy, but his phone sent me to voicemail. I left a nice message for him basically saying I want a loaner. Two minutes later guy behind counter calls back and I again explain the situation and he finally agreed to give me a loaner. What a cluster F***. Love how manger says "I don't want to get involved." If you don't want to get involved with this type of situation, why the hell are you a manager? Hey Ram cares you out there? Your dealerships suck. This is the second dealership I have gone to since owning the truck. The first one was even worse than this one. At least they gave me a loaner and ordered the radio I guess. Had to beg for that though and got ticked off in the process. Radio should be here in a week, so they have my truck until then. Hey Ram cares, Why are the radios getting stuck while performing updates? Why the hell are they allowed to reboot over and over during a failed install and kill a battery? How may more radios need to be installed before you admit that there is a problem? If this happens again after my warranty is up, am I going to have to pay for it (warranty is up in September)?

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Update on radio. Just picked up truck with new radio installed and no more boot looping. Unfortunately they put two scuffs in my paint by the back door. They also scratched the plastic around where you put your cell phone. Same piece of plastic was scratched up at a different dealership when the first radio was replaced. That dealerships manager admitted the tech probably but his tools in the center console area and scratched it up. Today I inspected my truck right there on the lot and got the manager right away. Said they would buff out the scuffs in the top coat and see what they could do on the center console plastic. I told him that same piece of plastic was just replaced when the other dealership replaced the first radio and that the first dealership admitted they stuck tools in that area. I have another appointment next Thursday for the AC bulletin so they will buff out scuff and look at plastic scratches at that time. This manager acted like they would never put tools in the center console, but I know that is b.s. That piece of plastic was was new before getting this work done . One word of advice for everyone. Always check your vehicle after getting work done and do it right on the lot. Hopefully they don't damage truck any further when they do the major AC repair bulletin for unequal vent temps.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow - Hope they finally get you squared away

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Sheesh really. This is why I'm waiting on more reviews of the ac tsb. Now I know to take pics of the dash and interior when I drop it off just in case.

OP, hows the battery holding out?

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Sheesh really. This is why I'm waiting on more reviews of the ac tsb. Now I know to take pics of the dash and interior when I drop it off just in case.

OP, hows the battery holding out?
AC tsb on Thursday taking pics too before drop off. Contacted Ram cares and heard back from them about issues. We will see if they actually help me get problems resolved. Battery is working fine after new radio install. WTF is going on with these radios that this is my third one? Ram cares never responded to that question. I have never owned a vehicle that has required three radios in less that three years. My warranty is up in September and I don't want to have to install another and have to pay for it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. Yes the radio issues are strange, I’ve never had one go bad (factory) in 50 yrs of cars. But then, my 2 year old microwave just went out and looking online theres a lot of reported problems with electronics in everything these days.

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Update on truck. So far as I know, no one from Ramcares called the dealer yet and truck is there. Ramcares said someone would get back to me before the end of the day tomorrow. This is what I sent Ramcares today. My wife dropped it off because our schedules were different today. Manager said he would buff out scratches, but they did not cause the damage. He said he is just doing it because "he is a nice guy." He said he is not going to fix the plastic because we are "being too picky" and that if we are going to be that picky we need to "consider service somewhere else". He would have to see someone doing damage to the truck on surveillance to fix that on the truck. How are you supposed to see damage on the inside of the truck on surveillance? What a joke. So they can get away with damage to an inside of a truck because there is no camera inside? Wife said manager got right up next to her and acted like he was trying to intimidate her. Ram cares I want my plastic and paint fixed. If not, I will never buy another Ram ever again. I personally had enough with the poor dealership experience locally and all the problems with this truck. Next closest dealership is about 45 minutes one way. I should not have to travel that far for service. Are you calling them today and helping me get this fixed?

Don't understand the point of Ramcares. They often times don't call until after the appointment. What is the point of that? Ramcares or case manager should be calling dealership prior to or the day of the appointment to help the customer. It does no good to call after I have my vehicle back. All that leads to is sending the customer back for another appointment. Dealt with that before; endless appointments over and over again when the problem could have been resolved if the contact between the dealer and Ram happened sooner.

Last edited:

Catdaddy

Reaction score
I second every single thing is this tread. Same freaking issue.

I took the truck in for 3 different “small” issues; leather ripping from seam on drivers seat, upper glovebox light stays on, radio rebooting.

Took it to the first dealer after having to wait over a week for the appointment and my truck, dealer said truck was done, picked it up in the same condition. When I went back inside before I even left the lot to tell them the radio rebooting twice while in the parking lot—the service guy was “excited” to tell me that they will send a new seat cover. Ok...but what about my radio, this is what he said “well we will have to wait till the seat cover comes it...wtf??

So I went home, that weekend the truck dies. I wasn’t calling that dealer and I took it to another one an hour away. They had me in the next day, with a loaner—that was great news!
I get a call later that day and they said the technician thinks the glovebox is the cause of the radio going out because it is putting the truck into low power output mode...what? They continued to tell me that the truck was then “shedding power” causing the radio to reboot constantly. Ok, whatever...

So they told me part was on order, but I asked if they could isolate the problem to make sure it’s not something else causing the radio issue. They said they can’t because the technician thinks the glovebox is the fix...
So I wait to hear from them for a week with my truck staying at the dealer. I get a call and they tell me that distribution sent the wrong trim level glovebox. Had to reorder, and had to wait another week. So nearly 2 weeks in had to wait again with my truck at the dealer. Get a call almost 3 weeks in and they said they sent another wrong one. At this point I need my truck because I need to haul some stuff and I only have a gooseneck hookup.

I go to pick up my truck that weekend after my truck was there for almost 3 weeks. They said the glovebox was “isolated” like I asked them to do 3 weeks before. I pick up my truck and the glovebox is completely out and now I have a hole in my dash driving around. The dealer said the battery issue should be fine because the glovebox issue is isolated.

So I have the truck for about a week driving around waiting on the glovebox before they can look at my radio, and at the end of last week they call me again and they sent a third wrong glovebox.

So finally my truck dies again this weekend, I’m pissed and I’m in rage mode and I’m going to unload Monday morning first thing.

I have a case manager with ram cares about this but the technician is holding up this whole process along with distribution not sending the right part. I too don’t understand the point of ram cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/