5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick Rebel Suspension Comparison - Air vs Traditional

P. Panda

Reaction score
Had a chance to try two Rebels today, one with air and the other with traditional coil suspension.

Situation:
  • Test driven on surface streets, a gravel road, and highway
  • Both just-arrived '19s (on dealer lot for less than a week)
  • Both Etorque
  • One crew cab, the other quad cab
Observations:
Overall, they were much more similar than expected, both very nice and "un-truck" like. However, the air was a bit more comfortable (as expected), especially over small bumps and road imperfections. On larger bumps and potholes they felt about the same. Neither were jumpy or uncomfortable, and both rode more like a luxury SUV rather than a traditional pickup. For me, I think I will skip the air due to cost and potential reliability issues in the future, but for those who must have max comfort or want the height adjustability, air is the way to go. By the way, height adjustment speed from aero to normal and then all the way up was quite quick, unlike previous models.

Additional observations:
  • AC was ice cold within 30 seconds in 85 degree weather despite heat soak (both were black trucks)
  • No break squeal on either
  • Etorque did smell a little "crispy" after the drive outside the truck, not the other. Kind of like an electrical burn. Not overwhelming but noticeable.
Hope these nuggets of info help future buyers!

Best,
P.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had a chance to try two Rebels today, one with air and the other with traditional coil suspension.

Situation:
  • Test driven on surface streets, a gravel road, and highway
  • Both just-arrived '19s (on dealer lot for less than a week)
  • Both Etorque
  • One crew cab, the other quad cab
Observations:
Overall, they were much more similar than expected, both very nice and "un-truck" like. However, the air was a bit more comfortable (as expected), especially over small bumps and road imperfections. On larger bumps and potholes they felt about the same. Neither were jumpy or uncomfortable, and both rode more like a luxury SUV rather than a traditional pickup. For me, I think I will skip the air due to cost and potential reliability issues in the future, but for those who must have max comfort or want the height adjustability, air is the way to go. By the way, height adjustment speed from aero to normal and then all the way up was quite quick, unlike previous models.

Additional observations:
  • AC was ice cold within 30 seconds in 85 degree weather despite heat soak (both were black trucks)
  • No break squeal on either
  • Etorque did smell a little "crispy" after the drive outside the truck, not the other. Kind of like an electrical burn. Not overwhelming but noticeable.
Hope these nuggets of info help future buyers!

Best,
P.

That's great info, thank you for taking the time and the level of detail you provided.

John813

Reaction score
I would assume anyone who wants to offroad more aggressively, than what factory suspension can provide, would want coils.

IE larger shocks and suspension if you wanted to makeshift a TRX/Raptor.

jamesfg

Reaction score
Etorque burn smell will go away in approximately 10 days after daily driving.

Users who are viewing this thread