5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick oil recommendations

MontFla

Reaction score
Have 2500 miles on my 2020 ram and about to hit the road for some traveling. Wondering if should go ahead and change oil and filter and whether to switch to synthetic? And possibly the penzoil ultimate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I change oil at 1000 miles on each new truck. I had a truck with 240k miles on it!

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I ran my factory fill out to 2500 miles. I had a trip planned towing from Indianapolis to Austin Texas and back and wanted fresh synthetic in before that. Switched to Pen Platinum and a Mopar filter (until warranty is up then likely wix). I plan to change again at 7500 miles (exactly 10k on the odo) and will get an analysis to decide if I will run out to the recommended 10k intervals.

Also happy to see at 10k there’s no irregular tire wear on the edges of the front. All my previous rams required rotations every 5k or they started cupping on the front insides and outsides. Didn’t matter what tire was on it. I assume they have changed the alignment specs for the 5th Gen. Thank god the plug interval is 100k now.

fishslayer

Reaction score
I have used MOBIL ONE EP for decades in all my work trucks.. every single one went 275-300 K mikes of towing trailers ,trouble free and no oil consumption between changes .. In my opinion you just cannot beat it

XmikeX

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change using mobil1 filter and PUP factory weight and seem to be hearing more of the hemi tick on cold cold starts (I'm in Colorado). Is it normal or possible to hear more noise when switching oil? I was under the impression that PUP was one of the "best" oils you could get, could my truck just be picky?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd give it some time to circulate the new stuff around and have an effect.

Mine seemed to quiet down a tad (PUP 5w-20 oil and M1-113A filter).

quickjoey

Reaction score
The manual for my 2022 5.7 Says to use full synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-20 as an alternate. I see a majority of you are running 5W. Any particular reason why you prefer the 5W? Does anyone know why the manual would recommend 0W over the 5W?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The manual for my 2022 5.7 Says to use full synthetic 0W-20 or 5W-20 as an alternate. I see a majority of you are running 5W. Any particular reason why you prefer the 5W? Does anyone know why the manual would recommend 0W over the 5W?
They just started spec'ing for 0w-20 for 2022 model year. Before that they spec'd 5w-20.

Users who are viewing this thread