5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick oil filter question, Changing my oil for the first time today..

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I too could not get the original oil filter off my 2021 Ram 3500 with a normal oil filter wrench. Too little room and on so tight I could kill the robot or person at the factory who put it on. I desperation I tried going up through the bottom oil spill hole, using an end cap wrench, instead of a swivel gripper tool. I put the end of filter cap on the filter end with a swivel adapter, from the side portal in the tire well. Coming from the bottom the ratchet extension cannot go straight up but will get up there angled towards the block. My wife held the extensions up from the bottom while I joined the parts together. Note the swivel allowed the angle difference to work. Success. Next time I should be able to go in the normal tire well way, since I hand tightened the new filter on. The picture is the tools I used.

I did use the large freezer bag to keep the filter oil contained. I loosened the filter a bit, put the bag on, and continued taking it off with the bag already on.
I am sure @Bwarren2 appreciates the advice. Hopefully since has been 2 years and 9 months or so, he either figured it out or sold the truck. 😉

dorocks

Reaction score
I am sure @Bwarren2 appreciates the advice. Hopefully since has been 2 years and 9 months or so, he either figured it out or sold the truck. 😉
The beauty of forums is their timelessness. Bad engineering design that ignores us that do our own maintenance continues to astound us all. My 2021 Ram being an example. I have learned lots of info and tips from old posts.

Users who are viewing this thread