5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about Towing a Car Hauler

DavidNJ

Reaction score
My trailer is 102" wide 26' (30' to the ball) car hauler that weights 9000lbs+/-500lbs depending on what is in it. 99" tall (next time I'll get a taller one).

One big problem is seeing around this box. I have Hensley's trailer mirrors that I have clamped on the door previously (Yukon XL 2500).

Question 1: Are the OEM trailer towing mirrors wide enough for a 102" trailer?

Question 2: Ram deletes the surround view (without a discount?) if you order the trailer mirrors? Have they ever towed a trailer? Always end up maneuvering in really tight spaces with other cars, fences, ditches all around. Using the surround camera to get use of every inch varies between important and critical. Is this really the case? Are they fixing it for 2020?

Question 3: The 2500 apparently has mirror mounted cameras, a provision for a trailer camera that goes to the console, and trailer tire pressure monitoring. All with the trailer towing mirrors. Is the Ram 1500 expected to get the extra features?

Question 4: Assuming the OEM trailer towing mirrors are useless, is their an add-on that would work with a 102" wide trailer?

Question 6: Trailer cameras are all the range. I'd like to add a rear camera and two side cameras on the trailer. That should be useful even if the mirrors have camera. I've seen ads for wired and wireless cameras. Is there brand/model that works well with the Ram 1500? This might mitigate the need for side mirrors somewhat...but a backup is always needed.

This video shows one brand of trailer camera:

Thanks,

David

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a 20' v-nose with the standard mirrors. I'll be towing the trailer empty back to Florida and with the Corvette in it coming back as is. It's satisfactory with a combination of the convex corners and BLIS. I wouldn't mind having the extensions though. Just not in one place long enough for them to catch up with me as I'm in between 3 houses currently. 20190309_071552.jpg

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP, unfortunately many of your 2020 Ram 1500 options type questions don't have answers yet. It may require sitting down with a dealer, though they can be just as clueless. Since you are about a month away from the 20’s hitting their lots, keep checking on the RAM website for any details.

Other than that, you might try posting those questions re towing a large trailer on the travel trailer or 5th wheel RV forums.

That is quite the frontal and side wind loads you have, a 6.4 hemi 2500 could be a better platform.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
I tow a 20' v-nose with the standard mirrors. I'll be towing the trailer empty back to Florida and with the Corvette in it coming back as is. It's satisfactory with a combination of the convex corners and BLIS. I wouldn't mind having the extensions though. Just not in one place long enough for them to catch up with me as I'm in between 3 houses currently. View attachment 32819

This is the mirror I use, it attaches to the doors with hooks. Not heated, power-operated or including cameras or turn signals.

McKesh4.jpg

I think they are $130 per pair.

What I would really like is for the truck to have rear and side mirror cameras, the truck to have a wifi/bluetooth receiver at the rear of the truck, and for FCA to sell a set of cameras like Furrion (rear and side of trailer) that communicated to the receiver via wifi or bluetooth. Then software in the cam could display a merged view on the dash screen or on a mirror that was a screen.

At that point the width of the mirrors wouldn't count and there wouldn't need to be an extra 15 feet from the hitch to the wifi/bt receiver on the dash.

The outer edge of the trailer towing mirrors is 21", a significant 6" more than the standard mirrors. Maybe someone has tested, but that seems as if it is far enough for a 102" wide trailer. If they were only full function...we can dream, can't we?

This video should be showing mirror measurements when it starts:

OP, unfortunately many of your 2020 Ram 1500 options type questions don't have answers yet. It may require sitting down with a dealer, though they can be just as clueless. Since you are about a month away from the 20’s hitting their lots, keep checking on the RAM website for any details.

Other than that, you might try posting those questions re towing a large trailer on the travel trailer or 5th wheel RV forums.

That is quite the frontal and side wind loads you have, a 6.4 hemi 2500 could be a better platform.

How wide is your trailer?

I also use the truck as my daily driver maybe 150-200 days/year and a solid front axle 6800 lb truck is too much. Also, a bear to park.

What I'd really like is a Ram 1500 SUV. With a fold-down rear seat, it could fit a 4x8, something the pickup beds can't do. All storage is locked and carpeted by default. I use a Hensley hitch. I recommend a Hensley or ProPride hitch to anyone with a tag-along trailer over 5000 lbs. The best $2500-$3000 grand you can spend.

However, given that doesn't exist...here I am.

I'm figuring the 5.7 or the diesel. Leaning toward the diesel simply because the extra range is important and if there are a few steep climbs where 260 hp won't be enough to hold 75mph, we can live with that. The turbo at least won't lose power from thinner air.

The trouble of course is that the Ram 1500 is far and away the best truck and few on the RV/towing websites have ay experience.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I hear ya’ on the daily driver part however just wait a month for a 2020. While there isn’t likely to be any major changes other than the tailgate, sounds like you can “make do”. Just insist on the 3.92 and E-Torque. As for mirrors, there are several “hang on/strap on” options that will still allow you to keep the power folding for the rest of the usage (non-towing).
In the 150/1500 series range, he F150 has the best towing setup with it’s Max Tow options and a really well done 3.5 ecoboost but the rest of the truck needs a restyle/refresh.

Users who are viewing this thread