5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on used 4th gen models

Cryptick

Reaction score
Hey all,

I found a great value on a 4th gen model with everything i want and almost the right price (still negotiating this). The only draw back i see so far is that the truck was up in Ohio and is now south. I'm from the south, and all I've ever heard is don't buy cars from the north due to the rust/weathering from their conditions. Does this apply to trucks also? I'm taking it to my mechanic later, is there anything in particular i should ask him to look for?

Thanks in advance!

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
I’m in Canada and we use road salt. You’ll notice the rust usually start along the pinch mold under the doors or in the wheel arches. Other than that, everything else on my 2012 is in great condition.

Check for cracked exhaust manifold or broken exhaust bolts, only failure on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP_Night18

Reaction score
Appreciate the heads up thank you!
any updates ? I wouldn't worry about it. Proper care should prevail any rust in the future. I'm in Chicago, and I had a 05 ram. Started rusting around 2014 or so above the wheels area and back bumper. Nothing major but I think that was because my brother scraped that area with his side mirrors of his car. From there, rusting started to happen. I think with proper car wash and maintenance you should be rust free for a good 10 years. I dont worry about that and i bought another truck 18 model this past December. 2 years on a lease from someone else, shouldn't have any rust. During winter, I washed my truck at least once a week at my local shop.

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Im in Iowa and have a 17 Ram. Plenty of salt used here in the winter. I don't have any rust on mine. I keep it pretty clean and in the winter run it through auto car washes that that rocker panel and underbody water spray.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread