5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on dash USB ports.

Kevinch

Reaction score
My truck is a 2020 1500 Laramie, 8.4 system without nav. Are the dash USB ports always hot? I want to invest in an Android Auto wireless adapter, but having to unplug it every time I shut down the truck would be a pain. Are the dash USB ports timed? Is there anyone using a wireless adapter that can comment? Thanks...

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My truck is a 2020 1500 Laramie, 8.4 system without nav. Are the dash USB ports always hot? I want to invest in an Android Auto wireless adapter, but having to unplug it every time I shut down the truck would be a pain. Are the dash USB ports timed? Is there anyone using a wireless adapter that can comment? Thanks...

The 12V on top center of dash from what I was told is dealer set to either turn off or be on a 1-2 hour timer. Mine defaulted to off when the ignition is off.

The remaining USBs, the center lower dash and rear passenger are either 1 or 2 hour hot after doors are closed. They will reactivate the next time you open your doors or unlock the vehicle for another 1-2 hours. This was designed so you can leave your phone charging while you go to lunch for example, considered a convenience feature.

I have the Motorola Android auto wireless dongle, and I placed mine in the center lower dash USB, double sided tape just above the USB port, takes me only a moment to unplug it. Or just leave it plugged, the amount of energy it consumes is far less than say a plugged in cell phone for that 1 hour it stays on.

Kevinch

Reaction score
The 12V on top center of dash from what I was told is dealer set to either turn off or be on a 1-2 hour timer. Mine defaulted to off when the ignition is off.

The remaining USBs, the center lower dash and rear passenger are either 1 or 2 hour hot after doors are closed. They will reactivate the next time you open your doors or unlock the vehicle for another 1-2 hours. This was designed so you can leave your phone charging while you go to lunch for example, considered a convenience feature.

I have the Motorola Android auto wireless dongle, and I placed mine in the center lower dash USB, double sided tape just above the USB port, takes me only a moment to unplug it. Or just leave it plugged, the amount of energy it consumes is far less than say a plugged in cell phone for that 1 hour it stays on.
Thank you SD Rebel.

Users who are viewing this thread