5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quality Leather Steering Wheel Cover?

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m in search of a quality, real leather steering wheel cover that not only feels like the factory one, but looks good as well. I don’t want some cheap rubber ring that slides over the steering wheel. I like my leather wrapped steering wheel and want to retain that look and feel, but I don’t want to have to remove it and send it somewhere to be recovered in 5-10 years when it starts to show wear. I’ve looked online, but haven’t come across much. I’m wondering if anyone here has experience with one that would meet my requirements.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Steering wheel are cheap enough and easy enough to swap down the road if needed imo steering wheel covers look like an unnecessary add on. Wait 5 years down the road and if the wear and tear is that bad swap a new one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI - not sure if you saw this, don't know what info is here either. Best wishes, keep us posted.

Last edited:

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - not sure if you saw this, don't know what info is here either. Best wishes, keep us posted.

I saw that one. I don’t like that is just round and does not have anything to cover the arms coming off the wheel. Thanks for the mention though.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Did your truck come with a trash steering wheel?
II don't see mine having any problems. Only driven 11k miles do far but it's still r and new condition... The thread the other person linked shows damage clearly caused by whoever had their hands on it, and on my wheel that part is wood not leather also.

I do notice I can damage the leather if my ring rubs hard against it, it kind of pinches the leather.

You can get a brand new wheel for around $500 as you keep the guts and swap it. Imo not worth getting a ring and ruining the look.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did your truck come with a trash steering wheel?
II don't see mine having any problems. Only driven 11k miles do far but it's still r and new condition... The thread the other person linked shows damage clearly caused by whoever had their hands on it, and on my wheel that part is wood not leather also.

I do notice I can damage the leather if my ring rubs hard against it, it kind of pinches the leather.

You can get a brand new wheel for around $500 as you keep the guts and swap it. Imo not worth getting a ring and ruining the look.

I have had no issues, I just don’t want to. But, I’m not willing to ruin the look or feel with a cheap cover.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$420 isn’t cheap for a replacement steering wheel in lets say 5 years if it needs replacing? Ill pay that any day of the week before I stick a leather cover over a leather steering wheel and making it that much bulkier.

And your in lets say $40k+ truck cmon now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

P/n 6XR972X7AA verify the p/n i think thats what you need but ill have to check later when I’m not looking off my phone

$450-500 quote would be roughly what it would cost if you wanted to go with the limited (wheel/wood trim piece) and if you may need the harness. I think I got everything awhile ago for around the $400 mark IIRC

Last edited:

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, my 2022 has a different finish than my 2019 did. My 2019 was shiny leather and looked terrible at all times, though it wasn’t wearing the way some of these have. The 2022 has that rougher leather that looks nice at all times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solracer

Reaction score
This post makes me happy I chose a Limited. Kind of feel bad for the 2023 Limited buyers though. They either don't get the wood topped wheel, or they have to pay extra for it.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This post makes me happy I chose a Limited. Kind of feel bad for the 2023 Limited buyers though. They either don't get the wood topped wheel, or they have to pay extra for it.
This is the first I've heard of this, but all I have to go on is the ram build website since I haven't gone in to try an order one. What do you base this information on?

Solracer

Reaction score
This is the first I've heard of this, but all I have to go on is the ram build website since I haven't gone in to try an order one. What do you base this information on?
The 23's have less standard options and cost more. They are small changes here and there, but they add up.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Glad I'm not looking to buy a new truck anytime soon. I can't believe how much less you get for your money now.

Users who are viewing this thread