5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pumping gas problem

Edgarrpo

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having a problem every time I pump gas ,the nozzle is stopping pumping gas way before the gas tank is full. It can happen one or twice before I get the tank full. Am I doing something wrong? Is it happening to other people with the new Ram 1500?

Fornstar

Reaction score
It happens to me too. I normally just set it to half throttle and it is fine. Its more that likely a venting problem.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes, it depends on the pump. If it goes deep enough, you should be fine, though you risk having the nozzle get slightly stuck and having it hard to remove.

Too loose and it stops pumping as the fill sensors in the nozzle thinks its full.

If I stops pumping early, I push the pump in a little and hold the bottom of the pump to help keep it in position and wait until it clicks stops on its own.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello,
I am having a problem every time I pump gas ,the nozzle is stopping pumping gas way before the gas tank is full. It can happen one or twice before I get the tank full. Am I doing something wrong? Is it happening to other people with the new Ram 1500?
It’s happened a few times over the last year. If you play around with the positioning of the nozzle it usually works.

ericd

Reaction score
Yea. its the nozzle position. I usually pull mine out a tiny bit extra and it works fine.

sauroang

Reaction score
Yeah this isn’t vehicle specific...I’ve had this problem on several other cars I’ve owned, it can be solved by pulling the nozzle out just a little bit usually.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah this isn’t vehicle specific...I’ve had this problem on several other cars I’ve owned, it can be solved by pulling the nozzle out just a little bit usually.

Yes, I agree. My last two Ford's did the same thing, I thought it was a Ford issue. Then my RAM did the exact same thing. Funny thing is my old cars never had this issues.

ronmac7609

Reaction score
Make sure you stop the fill when the nozzle clicks off. Some people keep filling until they round off the number and it causes issues.

ramhead

Reaction score
Make sure you stop the fill when the nozzle clicks off. Some people keep filling until they round off the number and it causes issues.

Yep...I can confirm this...on my old 03 Ram I could "top off" (add more fuel to round up to an even number - usually to make it easier when paying cash ). People say that doing that over a long time could screw up one or more of the emission canisters but I had no real issues with that truck....could get anywhere from .50 to almost $1 more in it before it was "full full" and no spills. But...DON'T try that with the new Rams. Out of habit I did that on my first fill up and gas sprayed out thru the overflow and some on the outside of the truck (took it to wash immediately). I learned real quick not to mess with it and when it clicks off (assuming properly inserted, etc.) it's good...STOP!

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey at least your's shut off .. my first fill shot all over me, the truck, and the ground .. glad I wasn't one of those people who get back in their vehicle or get on their phone .. I was close enough to stop it manually. The next day I started hunting and located a Star Case about it.

thefastz

Reaction score
I had this issue with the 1500. It got so bad that it wouldn't allow me to put more then a gallon in before clicking off. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the fuel neck. Haven't had the issue since.

Fidomac

Reaction score
Hello,
make sure the nozzle is pushed all the way in ...there is some kind of a flapper in there that can partially obstruct flow ..... I noticed this when adding a fuel treatment to my truck, I had to push the narrow bottle neck all the way in to get it to empty

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
make sure the nozzle is pushed all the way in ...there is some kind of a flapper in there that can partially obstruct flow .....

This is the correct answer - there's a secondary flap in the capless system that won't push aside with shorter fuel nozzles (i've noticed a few arco locations have less springy sealing rubber that don't allow a further push)

I found this out from the manual which talks about the 2nd filler flap which needs to be pushed aside with the emergency fuel funnel under the passenger seat.... so don't go trying to fill up fuel with a jerry can without using the funnel

slowjam

Reaction score
Same here, just picked up a 2020 Hemi and trying to figure out my tank range. I use to be able to get over 420 Miles on my 2018 RAM as I could fill up close to 24 gallons. It took me forever to put 22 gallons in today....I wonder if I can talk my dealer into upgrading to a 30+ gallon tank....

Users who are viewing this thread