5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pump shuts off

Jimhunt

Reaction score
having an issue with my 2019 ram not taking gas. Anyone have this issue

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Are you, by chance, one of those people who like to "top off" the tank with a few handle squeezes after the pump kicks off? If so, you created the issue. Your tank vent/charcoal canaister are filled with fuel not allowing the tank to vent properly while fueling

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Try what works for me. After inserting the nozzle twist it to the left so the tip of the nozzle is pointing to 3 o'clock and the handle you are holding is at 9 o'clock. You will most likely have to continue to hold it there as you fill up, but it is worth the extra effort to get a full tank without the shut off. Works every time for me as I had previous problems with it shutting off frequently before it was full.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Mine was basically impossible to refuel. Ended up being a failed rollover valve in the fuel tank. Dealer replaced filler neck, fuel pump (check valve was partially blocked), and fuel tank. I can refuel with the gas nozzle full throttle now. :)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you, by chance, one of those people who like to "top off" the tank with a few handle squeezes after the pump kicks off? If so, you created the issue. Your tank vent/charcoal canaister are filled with fuel not allowing the tank to vent properly while fueling
That may have been what caused my last truck to have issues with fueling. I would top off the tank when calculating my fuel economy and after a few months of ownership I started noticing the pump would shut off after only getting the tank about 90% full. I learned my lesson and won't be doing that with my new truck. No fueling issues so far, but I've only had it for three months.

Users who are viewing this thread