5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Procharger and towing

blakei

Reaction score
Anybody running a Procharger or similar super charger and towing heavy loads? I'm thinking about a Procharger instead of upgrading to a 2500 and a diesel. Curious to know if anybody has real world experience. Thanks!

blakei

Reaction score
Also... would a supercharger blow up the transmission or other parts of the driveline?

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have either, but have looked into motor add-ons; in general you should know the limits of your specific drivetrain. Any added power + strain = higher likelyhood of failure.

Obviously, A diesel would be better overall for towing due to torque + drivetrain built for torque.

What 1500 are you running now? 5.7? eTorque or not?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have either, but have looked into motor add-ons; in general you should know the limits of your specific drivetrain. Any added power + strain = higher likelyhood of failure.

Obviously, A diesel would be better overall for towing due to torque + drivetrain built for torque.

What 1500 are you running now? 5.7? eTorque or not?
To the OP: I don't know if @Ellisstrong does any towing, but he can comment if he does.

In response to above, the EcoDiesel offers some positives over the HEMI (e.g. better fuel economy, 17% higher peak torque). It also has some drawbacks (e.g. heavier weight, 34% less peak power). The transmission and axle ratios are the same regardless of engine selection. There's probably a sweet spot for the EcoDiesel (i.e. moderate frequency, lightweight towing). For daily or heavy towing, I'd (personally) step up to a 3/4-ton diesel.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Anybody running a Procharger or similar super charger and towing heavy loads? I'm thinking about a Procharger instead of upgrading to a 2500 and a diesel. Curious to know if anybody has real world experience. Thanks!
It would help others answer your question if you offered more info, like how heavy are you planning to tow, etc.

Cheers,

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To the OP: I don't know if @Ellisstrong does any towing, but he can comment if he does.

In response to above, the EcoDiesel offers some positives over the HEMI (e.g. better fuel economy, 17% higher peak torque). It also has some drawbacks (e.g. heavier weight, 34% less peak power). The transmission and axle ratios are the same regardless of engine selection. There's probably a sweet spot for the EcoDiesel (i.e. moderate frequency, lightweight towing). For daily or heavy towing, I'd (personally) step up to a 3/4-ton diesel.
Only towing I do is hauling me and my extra Covid weight around. I would think a whipple would be better for towing since it adds more low end torque. I got a Procharger since the way it delivers the extra power I have less concern with wear and tear...

blakei

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for the comments so far. I have the 5.7L non e-torque. We pull a 7K dry / 8K loaded 28' travel trailer. We mostly do a lot of camping during summer when the kids are out of school. This is the second summer we're going to pull to Colorado and back to see family... I'm just remembering going up grades at 40 MPH in 3rd.

Totally agree with a 3/4 for towing this size, and if we did it weekly or monthly I'd definitely upgrade. At the moment the 1500 is more of a daily driver and a summer weekend warrior, so can't really justify the +20K or so to get into the 2500. Well... I haven't convinced my wife yet. ;-)

After some more web searching I see the Whipple / roots supercharger may be better for towing/low-end, but either adds a lot of complexity and I could see blowing something up pretty easily / not getting it covered under warranty.

glasswagon

Reaction score
our trucks would handle 7-8 psi totally fine. Several people have had theirs supercharged and no problems so far. If you want to go above 7-8 psi then you would need engine upgrades and maybe better trans.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
our trucks would handle 7-8 psi totally fine. Several people have had theirs supercharged and no problems so far. If you want to go above 7-8 psi then you would need engine upgrades and maybe better trans.
Correct on all of this and I’ve heard this transmission is the same one they use on hellcat swapped jeeps so I think the tranny is stout enough to handle almost 600 to the wheels

blakei

Reaction score
Great to know. There’s a shop nearby that does ProCharger and Whipple so I think I’ll see what they have to say.

Now...have to wrap my head around the price tag... that very likely will keep me stock. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
8HP75 transmissions are rated for 550 ft lbs, so I would think that’s the weak link, long term. FCA licensed the 8HP75 design and make their own, slightly cheaper to manufacture, version of it. I’ve heard conflicting info about whether the 1500 DT has the in house version or the ZF built version. I have heard the the in-house version has a slightly higher failure rate.

After the warranty is up, I’d love to find a turbo or super kit that bumps mine up to 550 though...and better brakes to go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread