5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Proactive re-torquing of Exhaust Manifold bolts?

smonska

Reaction score
This is my first Hemi, and I've read about the persistent issues with broken exhaust manifold bolts. I can find no reference online to anyone ever trying loosening and retorquing the manifolds to spec as part of annual maintenance (or even every two years) as a mitigation to prevent excess tension from developing on the fasteners. The bolts look easy to access on these trucks.

Any thoughts?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I'm also interested in this. Maybe even replacing the bolts with stronger ones? Replacing one at a time shouldn't be too much work.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting concept. Food for thought, I had to have all the bolts replaced (few were broken off) on my 4th gen Hemi around 60k and it was covered as part of the powertrain warranty no questions asked. I was very surprised they covered it but wasn't complaining.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think there is much you can do to prevent it. My 4th gen truck has them break around 70k and the other around 100k. They were easy fixes, but inconvenient. I am hoping they changed the bolts to a better grade and it won’t pop up on this one. I had my 4th gen for over 9 years and 125k miles and one of only two unplanned Maintenence issues.

Users who are viewing this thread