5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PPE Pan & 8-Speed Fluid Change

VegasRob55

Reaction score
I installed the PPE tranny Pan on my 19’ 1500 today. Ordered a new gasket to be safe and reused the factory bolts. Everything installed well. My Laramie with 68,000 miles took 7.5qts of Valvoline Extended Protection Full Synthetic ATF. I can’t believe how buttery smooth the transmission feels again. I feel like I got all my torque back. Crazy… I didn’t expect it to feel any different, as it always felt good and smooth. The guy who did it said my fluid smelled as bit burnt. I tow a 6,000 lb. trailer (dry weight) on camping trips, and with my wife & 4 kids with all our gear, we are right around 7500 lbs. When daily driving, I drive pretty hard/fast. Also, the truck is lifted a couple inches on heavier 35” tires. I live in Vegas, and usually cruise around at 80-85 mph on the freeway when commuting. My transmission normally ran between 185F-189F when fully warm with no load. It is now running steadily between 174F-176F. I wasn't expecting such a decline in operating temps with the aluminum pan, but here we are. I hope to have the same cooling results when towing my trailer and loaded with all our camping gear. We'll see how that goes in a few weeks. Been a few hundred miles of spirited daily driving now, and so far, no leaks or issues to report. Great purchase overall.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This reminds me I want to change the fluid on my 13 Acadia. It's got oem fluid and just hit 100k miles. It's got a drain plug, a fill cap and a dipstick though. I got a long while before my ram needs fluid as I don't tow and just hit 16k miles lol.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
I did a fluid change on my wife's 17' Suburban recently. That had a more traditional spill & fill process and has a dipstick. I did that one at 52,000 miles, as we tow a 6,000 lb. trailer with the Burban often for camping trips. Refilled that one with the regular Valvoline Maxlife ATF and it's shifting smooth as silk. I guess these 6L80 transmissions from GM are not great, so I will do these more frequently than on my RAM.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the stuff awhile back and had my buddies lift lined up this past weekend. We were supposed to do the trans and the front, passenger stub shaft / CV axle / bearings / etc.. the CV axle and stub shaft was a nightmare and took FOREVER. So Trans is probably hopefully gonna get done next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread