5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power steps and river crossings.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Hey Ram fam,
First time post here. 2021 ram 1500 limited. Wondering if anyone has any water crossing experience. While under the truck today I noticed the motors for the power running boards and the motor for the active air dam are very low to the ground. I’m not planning on turning my truck into a submarine, however even with a shallow crossing I can see these motors at submerge risk. Thoughts? Specs?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C9F0F53C-FA03-4734-BE8E-A636983F93A2.jpeg
    C9F0F53C-FA03-4734-BE8E-A636983F93A2.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 73

Ramjack

Reaction score
Good question. Wondering if the motors are sealed so that water cannot enter. If so, there shouldn't be an issue, even if you run them when submerged. I'm skeptical that they are adequately sealed to be submerged, but I really don't know. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean they get ruined if they are splashed or submerged briefly.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Good question. Wondering if the motors are sealed so that water cannot enter. If so, there shouldn't be an issue, even if you run them when submerged. I'm skeptical that they are adequately sealed to be submerged, but I really don't know. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean they get ruined if they are splashed or submerged briefly.
I’m having flashbacks to my old Land Rover where the air suspension compressor was the lowest part of the vehicle and water would always find its way through the intake. Which raises another question. I believe my limited has a nitrogen based air system. Does that mean sealed compressor with no intake? Anyone know where it’s located?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does that mean sealed compressor with no intake? Anyone know where it’s located?
There is no intake for the compressor. It's located under the bed between the frame rails with the air tanks. I drove through about 100 yards of salt water up to my front tow hooks without issue. Not sure about the running board motors, but I have to imagine there somewhat sealed too.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Mine has none of these options but when I get underneath it I can spot plenty of electronic looking doodads that are attached to the bottom of the body that make me super scared of fording water.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, not sure how much different fording 12 inches of water at slow speed for short distance is from diving at 70 MPH in a heavy rain storm for a hour or two.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Honestly, not sure how much different fording 12 inches of water at slow speed for short distance is from diving at 70 MPH in a heavy rain storm for a hour or two.
I think the original question was assuming the motors would get submerged in the crossing. Could make a big difference if the motors are not designed to handle that. I don't know if they are or not.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the original question was assuming the motors would get submerged in the crossing. Could make a big difference if the motors are not designed to handle that. I don't know if they are or not.
That's a fair point. I'm not sure how comfortable I would be if I came to a complete stop in a water crossing for a prolonged period which is a huge difference than simply transiting it (which I think would be just fine).

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Well of all the places I love to stop along the way, in the middle of a water crossing just isn’t on the list. Fingers crossed. The deepest I’m thinking is retracted running board height. About 4-5” below door sills. My GF has a ranch that involves crossing 2 12 foot wide streams that vary in depth depending on season from completely dry to about 2 feet deep. The trail is well maintained and we regularly see Subaru’s and the like out there. Appreciate all the feedback.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m having flashbacks to my old Land Rover where the air suspension compressor was the lowest part of the vehicle and water would always find its way through the intake. Which raises another question. I believe my limited has a nitrogen based air system. Does that mean sealed compressor with no intake? Anyone know where it’s located?
The compressor is down low in the rear close to the bumper and between the frame rails. Like others have said, it is a closed system, but I am sure that it is not submersible. The connections are all "water tight" connectors, but, still.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
The compressor is down low in the rear close to the bumper and between the frame rails. Like others have said, it is a closed system, but I am sure that it is not submersible. The connections are all "water tight" connectors, but, still.
Is anyone ditching the air suspension for conventional springs? It’s a pretty sophisticated vehicle I’m assuming this would cause a would of electrical issues. Still curious though. I’m currently in the process of getting a new BCM because my turn signal is having issues. Something so simple can be so complex.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Can't imagine throwing the air away and going to springs. The softer air ride is why I bought it.
Yes but when you air up the suspension to off road height it’s unbelievably bouncy. The limited has all the sound deadening features. Some coils are pure cloud rides. My gf has fox struts on her 4runner and it’s way smoother of a ride. The combo of that plus the quiet cab of the limited in my mind seems like a big step up.

Thundersnow

Reaction score
Like the air on the Limited better than progressive springs because it is a more consistent ride .
Well I don’t hate it that’s for sure. Last car was a Land Rover and air suspension issues was the nail in the coffin. Looking forward to the next few years of warranty. Mainly what I experience as pure comfort is the sound of absolute silence. Not one rattle. Sound retarding glass and loads of insulation.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is anyone ditching the air suspension for conventional springs? It’s a pretty sophisticated vehicle I’m assuming this would cause a would of electrical issues. Still curious though. I’m currently in the process of getting a new BCM because my turn signal is having issues. Something so simple can be so complex.
I would only consider ditching my air suspension if it has a failure way past warranty and it can't be fixed for a reasonable sum. By all accounts so far, the system on the 5th gen is much more reliable than on the previous generation.

Also, I'm sure it's just fine in water crossings as well. It is sealed with considerable internal pressure, so water will not be getting in unless you have a much bigger problem.

Users who are viewing this thread