5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Side Steps

marcd118

Reaction score
Any idea when the AMP research power steps will be out for the Ram? I wonder how much the factory ones will cost?

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The factory ones are already out. Some people have them already. Can't quite remember the cost.

Last edited:

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check the Mopar website or contact a dealer

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The power steps are a $995 option from the factory. Purchasing through Mopar/Dealer will probably carry a similar price, possibly a little bit more.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are a must! This is my first time having them on a truck, but I figured there was no shot my wife would be able to strap in our 9 month old without some help. They are great! It doesn't take some time to get used to....which I haven't. I just open the door and hop out but they are about 1-2 seconds behind of being level and in final place. So a few weeks of that and it'll be second nature. Owned It for 3 days now

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are a must! This is my first time having them on a truck, but I figured there was no shot my wife would be able to strap in our 9 month old without some help. They are great! It doesn't take some time to get used to....which I haven't. I just open the door and hop out but they are about 1-2 seconds behind of being level and in final place. So a few weeks of that and it'll be second nature. Owned It for 3 days now

You have to adjust them? How are they any different then steps that are "power?" Wouldn't regular ones be just as good to help your wife? Power just a preference?

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Power steps in the platinums and limiteds ive been are much more useful. It goes down to a true step in the cab. I had previously test-drove a f150 with the 502a package and stock running boards. They certainly work but they are pretty high up into the cab. The power steps come out and offer a smooth easy entry and exit. Surely not for everyone, but I love them

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like the looks of the new Off-Road style running boards. I will get those whenever they come out and I get a price for them. If they are comparable to the Go Rhino RB 10/20's.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Power steps...are much more useful. It goes down to a true step in the cab...smooth easy entry and exit.
I agree completely. The power steps come down much further than fixed steps—something I'm thinking about now that I'm hauling the in-laws around regularly. And they're up out of the way when you decide to take the truck off road. My family (in the Midwest) tells me that the only drawback is the potential for snow and ice to get in the way of the mechanism in the winter season; they have to keep theirs clean or lock them up. It's rare that we see that kind of accumulation in north Texas.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree completely. The power steps come down much further than fixed steps—something I'm thinking about now that I'm hauling the in-laws around regularly. And they're up out of the way when you decide to take the truck off road. My family (in the Midwest) tells me that the only drawback is the potential for snow and ice to get in the way of the mechanism in the winter season; they have to keep theirs clean or lock them up. It's rare that we see that kind of accumulation in north Texas.

Yeah, I heard cold climates really pay a toll on these automatic steps and sometimes down allow them to work

GhostRyder

Reaction score
My son put power boards on his new 2015 GMC and has over 50,000 miles without any issues.
I ordered them on my 2019 Ram Laramie. We live in snowy Wisconsin winters.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son put power boards on his new 2015 GMC and has over 50,000 miles without any issues.
I ordered them on my 2019 Ram Laramie. We live in snowy Wisconsin winters.
What city? I am from WI too

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had factory power running boards on a couple of Fords. They have had them available for at least 4-5 years now. Never had a problem with them in North Central Indiana. Currently have a ‘17 Expedition with them. Front mud flaps help with keeping ice and snow from building under them but all my vehicles do park overnight in heated garages so obviously that helps. I hope the power boards on my Longhorn are as good as the ones I’ve had on my Fords!

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
First owner of the power running boards. I LOVE them! I knew were kind of going to be a must have for my wife to get our 9 month old in the carseat with ease, but they are so much more useful than I originally anticipated. I would say the only concern is that they are used so much, I almost feel guilty forgetting something in the cab and immediately having to open it up again. Time will tell, luckily im in a fairly mild state (Ky) so hopefully not to much of an issue during the winter months.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First owner of the power running boards. I LOVE them! I knew were kind of going to be a must have for my wife to get our 9 month old in the carseat with ease, but they are so much more useful than I originally anticipated. I would say the only concern is that they are used so much, I almost feel guilty forgetting something in the cab and immediately having to open it up again. Time will tell, luckily im in a fairly mild state (Ky) so hopefully not to much of an issue during the winter months.
Glad you like them! Once you have them you do realize how convenient they are. I have also worried about ‘wearing them out’ but they are very tough. We have never had problems with the motors on them. Just like you, we get in and out a lot at ball games, exc. getting equipment in and out or the kids forgetting things. I do have a family member with a ‘14 Ford that has over 125,000 miles on the vehicle and has never had problems with their power boards.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had AMP Research boards on my lifted Excursion since 2004. They still work. Getting in my truck is a cinch with them...otherwise it's an athletic feat.

Attachments

• 20180706_171028.jpg
    20180706_171028.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18

Users who are viewing this thread