5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Running Board Malfunction

Stinger19

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with their power running boards closing before you get out of the truck? I’ve stepped out of my truck a few times now and have had the running board close while my foot was touching it. I’d hate to get my foot stuck in there while it is closing! It doesn’t happen every time, but I think it will eventually get worse. The board is a little slow to open when I open the door and does have a weird sound unlike the passenger side which operates normally.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Anyone having issues with their power running boards closing before you get out of the truck?
Yikes!
Factory boards on your 2019?

Are there any other electric modifications or OBDII devices plugged into your OBDII port?

Stinger19

Reaction score
Yes, factory boards. Nothing plugged into OBD port. I have the Mopar extended warranty so I’ll have to bring into the dealer at some point. It’s definitely unnerving when you feel the running board suddenly retract on your foot.

MXZGUY

Reaction score
Yes, factory boards. Nothing plugged into OBD port. I have the Mopar extended warranty so I’ll have to bring into the dealer at some point. It’s definitely unnerving when you feel the running board suddenly retract on your foot.

I have taken a 2x4 board just to see how hard the running boards close and when I put the 2x4 in their it hardly touched the board and opened back up. So, I do not think the running boards would hardly even hurt you to bad. Anyway, that is with my running boards and hard telling what yours would do>>>>

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have taken a 2x4 board just to see how hard the running boards close and when I put the 2x4 in their it hardly touched the board and opened back up. So, I do not think the running boards would hardly even hurt you to bad. Anyway, that is with my running boards and hard telling what yours would do>>>>

I've used my leg inadvertently, opened the door with my leg the way, barely felt it touch me and it retracted. I now do this all the time when I want to open the door and just reach in to grab something but don't want the boards to deploy.

Sounds like the obstruction sensor is bad

Idahoktm

Reaction score
If the motor senses resistance, the boards will retract. Have you ever cleaned and lubed the hinges?

Stinger19

Reaction score
Nope. I can try spraying the hinges, but that doesn’t sound like my issue. The motor sounds like it’s struggling when it opens.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Nope. I can try spraying the hinges, but that doesn’t sound like my issue. The motor sounds like it’s struggling when it opens.

It may be struggling because the hinges are corroded. Your truck is nearly 4 years old with no maintenance to the hinges. I have no idea what climate it's been exposed to because it's not listed in your profile.

Users who are viewing this thread