5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power folding mirror calibration

afphinfan

Reaction score
I replaced my tow mirrors with power folding mirrors the other day. Passenger side was new from a dealer, the driver's side was like new from EBay seller. When I got everything hooked up in AlphaObd I ran the extend 2.5s and retract 2.5s test on each side to ensure they were working. The used driver's side made the pop noise like it was past a limiter or gears weren't aligned or some other abnormality. But once passed that issue they both appears to function well even though they touch the window. I read about the plastic gear stripping/breaking and also about the TSB to reset or calibrate the power folding functionality. My truck is out of warranty but was wondering if anyone knew what the TSB procedure is? Also, the Gruven parts site that sells brass gears is out of stock but has anyone done that mod? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following, since my truck mirrors also do the popping noise and the passengers side doesn't always lock into place correctly. Might have to do the brass gear mod in the future..

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there truly no way to calibrate the mirrors. So that they dont over extend and pop?
I would assume if it's popping that means the gear inside is bad or something. I don't know if the tow mirrors to the standard mirrors have a difference of how much they move, but I would assume there would be contacts to tell it to stop.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced my tow mirrors with power folding mirrors the other day. Passenger side was new from a dealer, the driver's side was like new from EBay seller. When I got everything hooked up in AlphaObd I ran the extend 2.5s and retract 2.5s test on each side to ensure they were working. The used driver's side made the pop noise like it was past a limiter or gears weren't aligned or some other abnormality. But once passed that issue they both appears to function well even though they touch the window. I read about the plastic gear stripping/breaking and also about the TSB to reset or calibrate the power folding functionality. My truck is out of warranty but was wondering if anyone knew what the TSB procedure is? Also, the Gruven parts site that sells brass gears is out of stock but has anyone done that mod? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
First off, are you sure the mirrors are hitting the windows? I bet they really aren't touching it. Lots of us have thought that. Try sliding something like a piece of paper between the mirror and glass while folding them. I doubt they will touch the paper.

As far as the metal gears go, I remember reading something bad about them but I can't remember the details. I was planning to upgrade mine last year but after reading the negative reports about them I changed my mind. I'll try to see if I can find where I read that. Might have even been in another forum LOL.

Zollman12

Reaction score
I would assume if it's popping that means the gear inside is bad or something. I don't know if the tow mirrors to the standard mirrors have a difference of how much they move, but I would assume there would be contacts to tell it to stop.
The dealer would love for me to buy new mirrors at so $900 range. Plus $330 labor. My issue is that the mirrors dont pop while moving, they moved in and out with out issue. The only issue is when they fold out. It is like they are off calibration and try to go past the stopping point. I mean I guess if there is a plastic gear that tells the motor they fully extended and it is broke, it would make sense. It just seems to me that they seem to have gotten off track and need to be reset. But Im no tech, so what do I know.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer would love for me to buy new mirrors at so $900 range. Plus $330 labor. My issue is that the mirrors dont pop while moving, they moved in and out with out issue. The only issue is when they fold out. It is like they are off calibration and try to go past the stopping point. I mean I guess if there is a plastic gear that tells the motor they fully extended and it is broke, it would make sense. It just seems to me that they seem to have gotten off track and need to be reset. But Im no tech, so what do I know.
When I took mine apart I didn't notice any way the gear could get off track. It's sealed inside it's own casing that holds everything together very well. I would think that the gear is probably just missing a tooth or two so when it gets to that point it pops until it reaches the next tooth. Just my thought though. Might be time for some brass gears.

smashweights

Reaction score
I don't know about calibration, but they definitely touch the glass on my limited. 3 years and 30k miles in and both motor/gears have started grinding, popping, and having difficulty locking into the unfolded position at some point despite me rarely using them. Both have been replaced under warranty, both still touch the glass when folded.

RTS001

Reaction score
I thought maybe I didn’t have the option but I do have the folding mirror button by the windows. Just purchased 2021 Limited pretty much has everything on it. And I knew there was no way on a truck this much the mirrors don’t fold.

Brought it in today and they couldn’t get them to operate. They hooked it up to the computer and it was able to open and close the passenger. They are gonna either replace modules and/or mirrors. Only 233miles on it. Mirrors never did fold and have never been hit.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I don't know about calibration, but they definitely touch the glass on my limited. 3 years and 30k miles in and both motor/gears have started grinding, popping, and having difficulty locking into the unfolded position at some point despite me rarely using them. Both have been replaced under warranty, both still touch the glass when folded.
Mine touch as well. 2019 Rebel, definitely touch the glass. 63,000 miles,

Users who are viewing this thread