5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powdercoat / Plastidip Big Horn Chrome Wheels?

Sooliman

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to Plastidip or perhaps Powdercoat their ‘chrome’ wheels? The Big Horn chrome is pretty, but it’s a bit much. May think about swapping for painted Laramie 20”s. Someone said the chrome isn’t really chrome, but instead it’s a pressed plastic cover over an aluminum wheel. If that’s true, that doesn’t seem tremendously rugged. Anyone?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to Plastidip or perhaps Powdercoat their ‘chrome’ wheels? The Big Horn chrome is pretty, but it’s a bit much. May think about swapping for painted Laramie 20”s. Someone said the chrome isn’t really chrome, but instead it’s a pressed plastic cover over an aluminum wheel. If that’s true, that doesn’t seem tremendously rugged. Anyone?
It is true. They are "chrome clad" wheels. It essentially is a plastic chrome cover glued onto the wheels. If you look at the very outer part of the rim you can see it. They actually do hold up fairly well though and they have been doing it this way for years.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
It is true. They are "chrome clad" wheels. It essentially is a plastic chrome cover glued onto the wheels. If you look at the very outer part of the rim you can see it. They actually do hold up fairly well though and they have been doing it this way for years.

It's true, and personally, I hate the glued on chrome plastic. I suppose it saves weight or something. I kind of wonder what the Limited wheels look like with the chrome cover taken off.

Sooliman

Reaction score
Not yet they should be going on soon though
Probably going to Plastidip them in the next week or so (need a weather window - and some time). I'm thinking like 5 coats, then a top coat of glossifier....I'll post pics when I get around to it!

Trevorjohn

Reaction score
Probably going to Plastidip them in the next week or so (need a weather window - and some time). I'm thinking like 5 coats, then a top coat of glossifier....I'll post pics when I get around to it!
One can per wheel seemed sufficient. And don’t be afraid to lay a thick coat down either i never really had any issues with running. I got a good three coats out of one can too. Good luck

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
You guys that have used plastidip in the past. How easily and cleanly is it removed? Sounds like a great was to protect for the winter

Thanks

U

User_76295

You guys that have used plastidip in the past. How easily and cleanly is it removed? Sounds like a great was to protect for the winter

Thanks
Thicker applications make peeling a lot easier.

But worst case scenario, you're rubbing it with a microfiber towel. So all in all, it comes off pretty easy - when you're trying to take it off

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread