5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible Ram buyer!

ero2

Reaction score
Hey all! I bought a 2016 F150 XLT FX4 about a year and a half ago with 20k miles on it. Since buying it I have had:

Door handle recall issue happen twice where I've had to drive 30 min to work holding my door shut

Windshield wiper/turn signal control arm go out, causing the wipers to stay on, on a dry windshield to and from vacation in FL. (Could have pulled the fuse, but rains so much en route and in Florida that I didn't want to stop and put fuse back in every 10 miles.)

Rear window defroster went out last week, whole rear window replaced.

Rock Chips rusting through the bumper

Auto Start Stop "Motor" just died - 800 miles out of warranty, and not powertrain since it's "outside the transmission", but they are trying to warranty cover it

Yes, they were all under warranty except the bumper, but having something happen during major trips, and all of it before 47k miles seems a bit much. I am used to Volkswagen's, our Ford Flex, Infiniti, Subaru in my past, and this is the only one ever having even 1 major issue prior to 75k miles. With all the insane incentives this month, I am contemplating a trade, but I would lose 3-4k in doing so. If I keep the truck, I am a bit concerned having that many issues, now being out of warranty. Do you guys feel that's justified, or have I been exceptionally lucky on every other vehicle I've owned?

If I trade, it's looking like Dodge (This One) or a GMC Elevation. I have not had trucks my whole life like some, but I will never not have a truck again. It just makes everything so much easier for me and my family. The dodge LOOKS amazing on paper, and in person, but I've heard and read some horror stories (like the thread where only 50% have had no issues with their new trucks) so wanted to ask for some current insight before I jump in! Thanks in advance! (and, if you would not buy the 5th Gen you did buy, what would you buy, knowing what you know now?)

Last edited:
Hey all! I bought a 2016 F150 XLT FX4 about a year and a half ago with 20k miles on it. Since buying it I have had:

Whole gauge cluster went out, new one sent to Ford, programmed, then returned to me
Door handle recall issue happen twice where I've had to drive 30 min to work holding my door shut
Windshield wiper/turn signal control arm go out, causing the wipers to stay on, on a dry windshield to and from vacation in FL. (Could have pulled the fuse, but rains so much en route and in Florida that I didn't want to stop and put fuse back in every 10 miles.)
Rear window defroster went out last week, whole rear window replaced.
Rock Chips rusting through the bumper
Auto Start Stop "Motor" just died - 800 miles out of warranty, and not powertrain since it's "outside the transmission", but they are trying to warranty cover it

Yes, they were all under warranty except the bumper, but having something happen during major trips, and all of it before 47k miles seems a bit much. I am used to Volkswagen's, our Ford Flex, Infiniti, Subaru in my past, and this is the only one ever having even 1 major issue prior to 75k miles. With all the insane incentives this month, I am contemplating a trade, but I would lose 3-4k in doing so. If I keep the truck, I am a bit concerned having that many issues, now being out of warranty. Do you guys feel that's justified, or have I been exceptionally lucky on every other vehicle I've owned?

If I trade, it's looking like Dodge (This One) or a GMC Elevation. I have not had trucks my whole life like some, but I will never not have a truck again. It just makes everything so much easier for me and my family. The dodge LOOKS amazing on paper, and in person, but I've heard and read some horror stories (like the thread where only 50% have had no issues with their new trucks) so wanted to ask for some current insight before I jump in! Thanks in advance! (and, if you would not buy the 5th Gen you did buy, what would you buy, knowing what you know now?)
Wow, glad I didn’t buy a ford! I was always a Chevy guy and have always had great luck with them. However the Chevy/gm trucks are ugly inside and out. So I thought id try a dodge. Mine is a 19, March 19 build date ,now has 2600 miles and I’ve owned it for three months. This is by far the best riding/driving vehicle I’ve ever owned! The technology is amazing as long as it’s working properly, I haven’t had any issues with that stuff yet. What I have had issues with, breaks, rattles, tires not holding balance. Breaks have been replaced, rattles come and go all over the truck. Tires have been balanced three times, once at factory once at 1800 miles and again at 2400 miles. They have no idea why it out of balance? The truck has never even been off pavement. I’m going to waste my time keep taking it in and in a year or so, if they can’t figure it out, I’ll call my lawyer and hit them with the lemon law. Fix it, buy it back or give me a new truck! Now the false advertising on the gas mileage. Mine is rated at 17-22. I can get the 17 in town with the etorque that I paid extra for. Here is the kicker, 17.5 mpg is the best I’ve gotten on highway. Flat Iowa driving at 58-60. My Chevy got 22 on the same roads. I feel lied to and cheated, many say the 5.7 takes 5000 miles to break in before you see the best mpg, guess I will see in a few months. Knowing what I know now I probably would not have purchased the ram truck. I love the truck, just not all the problems! Good luck in whatever you decide! I’d probably buy a gmc, ugly and all or maybe a Toyota? Starting to think they are all junk!

I'm relatively new here but knock on wood my Ram has not seen the dealership yet. I purchased a 2020 Laramie quad. I avoided the sunroof and the 12" screen. My wife and I did around 2k mike vacation in it and loved it. No issues, rattles etc. At 3k miles now with the etorque and 5.7 averaging 18.5 or so. Not disappointed with the mileage at all. I had a 2019 Ecoboost 3.5 and averaged around 19.5 . Go for it. I left Ford because of all the paint and quality issues.

I dumped my '16 F150 Lariat in under 2-years and very glad I did...the headaches weren't worth the $$. The never-ending Frozen Door latch did me in - but I had the windshield washer frozen line, 2x pano replacements, sync freezing, leather seat clips coming undone, broken interior door mounts from deler trying 3rd fix on latches, and more. I rolled in on the Ram trade with the IWEs going, all in less than 25k miles.

Outside of the MPGs and Sport mode (get a pedal commander), the Ford was a disaster. Have the equivalent miles now on '19 Ram and it isn't even fair to compare, imo. If you read that comments on the thread you mention, like the actual 23+ pages...I think you're gonna find a lot of happy campers. Also, realize that you're gonna find what you're looking for. Search Love my Ram and then search Hate my Ram...Nothing is flawless, but I'm pretty confident this Car of the Year is pretty close and it will put your '16 Ford to shame - even on its worst day.

I just got rid of my 17 F150 for a 20 Ram Bighorn lvl2 Night Edition with 12" display and Hemi. I had a loaded XLT with max tow and 3.5L.

I had issues from day 1 with the Ford. Transmission issues, rattling doors, frozen latches, timing chain issues. Entire dash would go black while driving, would come back on after 10 minutes. 4 batteries in 3 years. IWE issues every winter that tore up the front end a few times. That is such an unreliable setup for engaging 4wd that I can't believe they use it.

3 months in on my Ram and zero issues. The truck has been perfect. The interior is light years ahead of the competition and it rides 100 times better than the Ford. So much smoother and composed that I don't know how anyone could test drive all trucks available and pick anything besides a Ram.

Sounds like it should be a good choice then! Am I crazy for thinking about getting out of the F150, are those semi normal issues or smaller issues I could encounter with any new truck? Thanks for the insight so far all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back