5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Popping/clanking sound after new tires

laramiecigarettes

Reaction score
I'm getting a rattling/popping/clanking sound from the front end after putting on some new tires. Need help figuring out what it could be. It sounds like metal on metal.

The problem started a day or two after installing Ridge Grapplers in a 33x12.5r20, which were just a bit too wide for my stock 4x4 Laramie. I switched them out with 285/60r20 (no rubbing, they fit) but the problem is still there. The guys at discount tire heard it and looked around for what could be causing it but came up empty. It almost sounds like something releasing tension with a "pop." It's pretty consistent at 5-40 mph, but the sound seems to disappear on the highway. I've tried everything I can think of (tightening every bolt, looking for loose anything) and nothing is helping. Any ideas?

Last edited:

laramiecigarettes

Reaction score
So after some more experimenting, I found the culprit. Loose bolt on a tie rod end. Weird considering the truck is 2 weeks old. Anyways, if someone has similar issues this is what fixed it for me.

cipherbreak

Reaction score
So after some more experimenting, I found the culprit. Loose bolt on a tie rod end. Weird considering the truck is 2 weeks old. Anyways, if someone has similar issues this is what fixed it for me.

Thanks for the debrief. I’m glad you were able to solve the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread