5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

POLL: Hemi vs. Hurricane - your preference

If I were able to choose either the Hemi or the Hurricane (HO or SO) in a new Ram, I would choose...

• Hemi, because it’s a proven engine.

• Hemi, because the engine sound is more appealing.

• Hemi, because it’s a more robust engine.

• Hemi, because I don’t have to use premium gas.

• Hurricane, because it’s got better acceleration (horsepower).

• Hurricane, because it’s a more modern design.

• Hurricane, because it’s got better emissions vs. power output.

• Hurricane, because it’s probably going to be more reliable than the old Hemi design.

Results are only viewable after voting.

MT755

Reaction score
Im not trying to be a jerk, but anyone who votes for the Hurricane, when they dont own one, is suspect.
I hope not, but it could end up being the worst engine ever produced. Full of issues
Or the best 😁

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't see an option for just wanting something new/different.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im not trying to be a jerk, but anyone who votes for the Hurricane, when they dont own one, is suspect.
I hope not, but it could end up being the worst engine ever produced. Full of issues

You are not being a jerk, you are just being illogical. Using your logic anyone who votes against the Hurricane, when they don't own one, is suspect. It could end up being the best engine ever produced.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Neither is the 5.7 Hemi.

NA in a gasser is always a better base. We've been through this DEG, it's why Ford doesn't use a tiny turbo in their F250s. The 5.7 actually has an excellent track record in the 2500. Its an iron block beast that can take a beating and come back for more, manifolds and lifters aren't a failure due to working too hard and lifter failure is not that common considering total hemi sales in the many millions.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
NA in a gasser is always a better base. We've been through this DEG, it's why Ford doesn't use a tiny turbo in their F250s. The 5.7 actually has an excellent track record in the 2500. Its an iron block beast that can take a beating and come back for more, manifolds and lifters aren't a failure due to working too hard and lifter failure is not that common considering total hemi sales in the many millions.

The F250s and 2500s are irrelevant to this discussion since there is no evidence Ram plans to use the Hurricane motor in those trucks. Also, and inline engine is always a better base than a V configuration.

PetePA

Reaction score
The F250s and 2500s are irrelevant to this discussion since there is no evidence Ram plans to use the Hurricane motor in those trucks. Also, and inline engine is always a better base than a V configuration.
Absolutely agree. I understand that the only reason V configurations are used is due to available space. You can squeeze a V into a smaller space than an inline with an equal number of cylinders.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

"Always" is a dangerous word.

Ramfancy

Reaction score
Love my hemi! The sound of it starting every morning makes me feel like a young man again!

Love me some straight 6. I believe it probably will be more reliable and better for towing.

silver billet

Reaction score

They're only irrelevant to you because you can't understand logic.

The 5.7 is a tough engine. Full stop. It will take a beating and it's been proven to due so.

Small turbos do not do well under hard/tough and long duty cycles. That is the fact you don't want to hear and admit. But watch the video I posted a while back with the Ford engineer and he explains to Andre/TFL why they picked a new big block NA v8 over a turbo. It's all about that duty cycle. The 5.7 can do that duty cycle too, the little mini van whizzers best belong in minivans.

And you'd accept this fact as well if you could overlook the high hp. Guaranteed if it made equal hp/torque to the 5.7 you'd be saying "hard pass" like the rest of us smart girls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/