5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help me, I’m so lost.

Matusiakl

Reaction score
I bought my first truck, 2019 ram 1500 bighorn. The stock tires are 18” and the aluminum (ugly) wheels are a + 19mm offset. I desperately want to change out the rims but have no idea what I’m doing. All the rims I like are not close to a 19mm offset. I just want nicer rims but have no idea what I’m doing and what I’m supposed to be looking for. How does this work? Do I need new tires to fit new rims? Are there nice looking rims somewhere with a +19mm offset? I’m not a car person so you’ll have to dumb it down for me. Please help.

WyoRam21

Reaction score
Best bet is to go to custom offsets website. They have a gallery where you can enter your year and model truck. Then you can look at tons of pics of different rim and tire combinations. When you scroll through the pictures it gives you tire size and offset of what you are looking at as well as tire size. There are tons of options for you.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
Don't wrap your head around new wheels need to be +19 like factory. They don't. If you want to stay close to factory offset look for +18, all the way to +1. The closer you get to 0, the more the wheel will stick out, and when you start getting into the negatives, they get more and more aggressive. When you get real aggressive, depending on tire size, is when you will run into rub issues, and may possibly need to lift or level. But if you stay close to factory offset, and only jump up a size or 2 in tire you should be good. And as mentioned custom offsets website has a gallery that is super helpful for size, and fit.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You're most likely going to find things in multiples of 6 since that's basically 1/4". So you'll see 0 offset, 6, 12, 18 in negative and positive. If you don't care about tires poking outside the fenders then just go with +6, +12, or +18. If you're eventually going to get bigger tires, lift, anything else of the like go with at least a 0 or a -12. We're already fairly close to the tire rubbing the UCA on the stock setup, and if you get wider tires they could rub. Just get ahead of that by going with near 0 offset.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are looking to stay with 18" wheels be careful. The OEM ones barely clear the brake calipers. Not all aftermarket wheels are created the same. Some will fit and some won't.

Last edited:

alpha_brit

Reaction score
If you are looking to stay with 18" wheels be careful. The OEM ones barely clear the brake calipers. Not all aftermarket wheels are created the same some will fit and some won't.
And that right there is what terrifies me. I do not want to spend $1k on wheels only to find out they don't clear the calipers or something. I really wish I could just get some cheap steel wheels that were a definite and be done with winter shoe shopping.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And that right there is what terrifies me. I do not want to spend $1k on wheels only to find out they don't clear the calipers or something. I really wish I could just get some cheap steel wheels that were a definite and be done with winter shoe shopping.
If you're looking for cost-effective OEM rims for winter shoes you might want to check Hubcap Heaven:

The only drawback is that you have to buy their center cap as well:

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My Fuel Blitz 18x9 +1 wheels clear the calipers just fine. You have to be careful with placement of balancing weights, but other wise, no issue with clearance.

Matusiakl

Reaction score
Don't wrap your head around new wheels need to be +19 like factory. They don't. If you want to stay close to factory offset look for +18, all the way to +1. The closer you get to 0, the more the wheel will stick out, and when you start getting into the negatives, they get more and more aggressive. When you get real aggressive, depending on tire size, is when you will run into rub issues, and may possibly need to lift or level. But if you stay close to factory offset, and only jump up a size or 2 in tire you should be good. And as mentioned custom offsets website has a gallery that is super helpful for size, and fit.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Ok so as long as the offset stays in the positives, it won’t stick out from my truck wheel well right? I’m not looking to get it lifted or go crazy. Just nicer rims. These ones **** me off. I was hoping to stay with 18” tires as I don’t love the 20s all that much. I was reading other posts about wheels before posting but there so was much info that went right over my head, but there were a lot of people having issues with rubbing etc so I got scared.. hence the post lol

Matusiakl

Reaction score
You're most likely going to find things in multiples of 6 since that's basically 1/4". So you'll see 0 offset, 6, 12, 18 in negative and positive. If you don't care about tires poking outside the fenders then just go with +6, +12, or +18. If you're eventually going to get bigger tires, lift, anything else of the like go with at least a 0 or a -12. We're already fairly close to the tire rubbing the UCA on the stock setup, and if you get wider tires they could rub. Just get ahead of that by going with near 0 offset.
I don’t want the tires to poke out from fender. I like them to stay flush. Ok so if I get a wider tire, get 0 offset? Did I read that right? Otherwise if I keep current tire- go with towards factory offset of 18/19?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t want the tires to poke out from fender. I like them to stay flush. Ok so if I get a wider tire, get 0 offset? Did I read that right? Otherwise if I keep current tire- go with towards factory offset of 18/19?
If you get a wider tire and 0 offset, you’ll poke out just a bit, but not much.

The stock tire is 275 mm wide (that’s what the first number in the tire size means), or 10.8 inches (25.4mm = 1 inch).

A 295 wide tire is 20mm (0.8”) wider. It’ll stick out 10mm further (and be 10mm closer to the UCA) on the same wheel.

On a zero offset wheel, it’ll stick out another 19mm versus a +19 offset stock wheel. So, 295 tire on a zero offset wheel will stick out 29mm further than stock, or 1.1 inch.

Here is a good calculator and visualizer for differ tire sizes and offsets.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s what a 305 wide tire on +1mm offset wheels looks like. This is on a Laramie with fender flares, so it’ll look a bit further out on a Big Horn with no flares.

If that’s too much poke, go with a higher positive offset (e.g., +6, +12, +18) or narrower tires, or both.

(Sorry for the rotated photo).
C30981CB-D9C9-4A98-B779-C3AE29A1276B.jpeg
920FDA11-4232-40E8-AA89-685AB348C1D6.jpeg

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like you might just want to be patient and look for a set of Rebel wheels on the forum or elsewhere. You can usually pick them up for around $600 give or take a hundred. You'll have to get new tires too, if you're dropping from 20's to 18's.

R.Duff

Reaction score
These are 20x9 +12, stick out a few mms more than the stock 22s especially with better AT tires. I like them but , Honestly wish I went with a wheel with 0 or +1mm offset for wider tires cause these 275 60 r20 are pretty slim. Just depends what your looking for. Definitely check out the gallery on custom offsets helps to see or creep trucks in your neighborhood 😂
20201025_144240.jpg 20201025_142404.jpg 20200912_092314.jpg

Matusiakl

Reaction score
You guys are all amazing and it makes a lot more sense now!!! Thank you so much!!

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These are 20x9 +12, stick out a few mms more than the stock 22s especially with better AT tires. I like them but , Honestly wish I went with a wheel with 0 or +1mm offset for wider tires cause these 275 60 r20 are pretty slim. Just depends what your looking for. Definitely check out the gallery on custom offsets helps to see or creep trucks in your neighborhood 😂
View attachment 95239 View attachment 95240 View attachment 95241
You could almost certainly go up to a 285, and maybe a 295, and still clear the UCA.

285 would still have you 2mm further from the UCA than stock (19 - 12 - 10/2). 295 would put 3mm closer.

This is assuming UCA clearance is the limiting factor, and ignores tire height.

Matusiakl

Reaction score
Ok wait so another dumb question - if my tires are 265/65 R18, do I look for 18x9 or 18x10 wheels?

Matusiakl

Reaction score
View attachment 95239 View attachment 95240 View attachment 95241
That’s a beautiful truck by the way

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
These rims are 18x9 with a -6mm offset. The tires are 12.5s.

20210528_191441.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/