5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plasti dip OEM wheels. Yes, No, Maybe?

reigninslayer

Reaction score
For those whom Plasti dipped their OEM wheels what are your thoughts on the process? I like the black look of wheels but don’t want to fork out the cash for new black wheels. Plus if I Plasti dip and get tired of the look I can just peel it off. Am I correct about that? How does it old up after washing the wheels (by hand or car wash) and in the winter months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lize

Reaction score
Theres some photos and tips here:

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Just did mine last weekend, so time will tell............. the first two tires were a disaster. I was holding the cans too far away and wasn't wetting it enough. I ended up with a tremendous amount of texture. I had to remove the dip on those two tires and start over from scratch which cost me a lot of labor and time. Fortunately, time, patience, practice, and no less than a dozen you tube videos later, I was able to get results that I was pleased with. I used approx. 1 can of black per wheel and 2 cans of gloss enhancer. In all, it was 1 base coat, 4 wet coats, and 3 gloss coats. Now to be careful in taking care of them.
20190626_201738.jpg
20190819_105027.jpg

DavidNJ

Reaction score
They are popular with autocrossers. There, the Plasti-dip also protects the wheels from brake dust.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I plasti dipped my old truck and it held up great until I sold it, almost 8 years later.... I did not clear coat it so it was more of a matte black... anytime there was an issue I'd simply spray over it with more plasti dip.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 118

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn’t do them flat, it won’t look like a “black wheel”.... it’s going to look like a spray painted stock wheel. Just my two cents.

The gloss photo above doesn’t look too bad though.

Rottonrob

Reaction score
Did my jeep 4 years ago, still there. Also did the flares, peeling a little.

Reaper

Reaction score
I did mine with flat black and they look great to me. Just depends on how rugged you want your wheels to look.

Users who are viewing this thread