5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning out my customizations and I’m a total noob. Help?

midwestpilot

Reaction score
Alright so I’m new to this world. I’d had a deposit on a Bronco because I’m really drawn to the world of overlanding. Im not in it to be too hardcore but I want capability.
I just purchased a 2020 Laramie used. It’s got the 20” wheels with 33” tires and 4x4 with non etorque hemi. I LOVE this truck, it literally ticks all the boxes I wanted beside the off-roading. It’s the crew cab short box. The only problem with being new to this is that I have no idea what I’m looking at when reading about what parts to buy. So if any of you can help lead me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. I’d like to keep the ride as close to it is now as possible but I understand the further I go towards off road capability that will suffer.

so in priority order:

2” lift/level-I’ve looked at the mopar lift and the bilstien 5100. Are the fox shocks that come with Mopar fairly capable? Would adding a level to the front be a non-issue? Are there better lift solutions out there like the 5100’s? This is one of the things I don’t understand well and I don’t want to ruin my truck.

Wheels-I love the look of the stock Rebel 18” wheels. Either this exact model or something close would be great. Where do I even start looking to purchase and is there an easy way to figure wheel sizes? I feel like I’m reading Greek with offsets and the rest of it. I’d probably stay with 33” tires for
comfort/cost/mpg.

Skid plates-was probably going to just buy from Mopar, but again suggestions are welcome. My truck has none at the moment,

Tow hooks-I see the loops are available but I’d like actual hooks if I can find them. Suggestions welcome again as well.

Bumpers-this may factor into the skid plates and tow hooks, but I definitely need bumpers with better clearance. I have the parking sensors so they need so be compatible. And I don’t need super angular or crazy looking led compatible bumpers just something that looks clean and can handle some better approach and departure angles.

Bonus is if anyone has any recommendations for bed mounting systems that can handle rooftop tents. I’m going to take awhile to do this but I’d love to get a rail system that can handle that and start dreaming up my organization for overlanding.

Thanks in advance!

Vilas15

Reaction score
Stock tires are 32" so unless the previous owner upsized thats what you've got. You can fit 33s no lift or level easy. I'd want to at least go up to 34s if you do the 2" level but that's just me. No tow hooks available as far as i know. Just get the loops and have some shackles or soft shackles on hand.

Plenty of people try to find rebels wheels that have been taken off when rebel owners swap them out. Aka look for rebel "takeoffs".

Plan out your mods based on your payload so that you dont add weight you regret. Big bumpers can really weigh you down, not that there is many options available for this model yet.

Skater

Reaction score
Follow these two threads and you will find a plethora of information on the subjects you seek:

Users who are viewing this thread