5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pedal adjustments and Foot Rest

coderman

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any foot rests (dead pedals) and if it's relatively easy to install? I'm finding this truck is becoming increasingly more uncomfortable to drive for long distances with my left foot and leg constantly searching for a comfortable place to rest. A real ankle burner this truck.

The other issue, which is annoying to say the least coming from cars like Audi's previously ... the step distance front-to-back between the gas and the brake pedal is excessive. When you adjust on the Limited trim for example, the pedal position, you can make it comfortable for the gas, but then the brake pedal is a good 2-3" or more (it feels like) ahead of the gas pedal. It's annoying to say the least. Probably exaggerated for me, with a recent knee injury but the travel between the pedals is excessive compared to other vehicles. Are there any good aftermarket pedal replacements for this truck?

A couple ergonomic issues in these FCA vehicles I've noticed. The seats in the Limited are nice and comfy as well, but the seat depth is massive. I'm 6'0" and I find it large, I can't imagine any guys or women driving these things who are 5'10" or less finding the seat depth comfortable at all.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know of any dead pedals, but I'm 6 foot too and I find no issues with any of that. It is extremely comfortable and one of the most comfortable vehicles I've owned.

I wonder if there are any pedal replacements to help move the break pedal closer. I searched but couldn't find anything. I looked for dead pedals or foot rest, but didn't find anything either.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

haazdaboss

Reaction score
Im 5' 6 and honestly never felt the seat depth was bad. Granted i have it leaned back at around 125° Its so comfortable i dont do long drives in that position because i start getting sleepy from the smoothness of the ride. But yeah the seats are huge and honestly i love that because i dont feel stuck and dont get sore in one spot with my leg unable to move anywhere.
I sat in my cousins new genesis g70 and it felt like i was closed inside a box, couldnt even stretch.

Also as fsr as foot rest all the way on the left their is this little area that is covered differently i alwaya use that as a foot rest. You might be able to find something to go over or around that to give u better ergonomics according to you.

coderman

Reaction score
Yeah the seats themselves just in terms of size and the ability to move around and not feel ‘boxed in’ are nice. More of a feeling of sitting on a comfy couch especially with the air ride.

That’s funny about your foot on the door panel storage bin lol I did that to get a more comfy position for a bit but also just reminded me of the poor design. I noticed passengers in my truck muddy up that spot with their shoes too, obviously searching for a spot to place their foot too.

hate to say it, but I fixed the problem - bought a 2020 decked out Ford Raptor. Comfort issues eliminated. Check out the great footwell setup, and the gas pedal to brake peda distance left to right and front to back is way better
DB984CF4-B785-4A5B-9987-5CA29F955474.jpeg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Either you're very impulsive, or you've been thinking about doing this for a while. I hope you got a good deal on both your trade-in and on the Raptor. Either way, congrats on your new truck. I hope the two of you are very happy together. :ROFLMAO:

I've honestly wished they would include a dead pedal. My other car has one, and it makes longer drives more comfortable. It's not enough of a reason for me to trade my truck for something that has one. And I haven't noticed an issue with the spacing of the brake and gas pedals.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket dead pedal for my Jeep but don't do the type of off-roading in the truck that requires me to brace myself on steep declines. We have a Chrysler T&C that has the brake pedal not even with the gas (have to lift your leg up to get to the brake pedal) but I don't find that to be the case in the Ram. Trucks generally do have the pedals further apart because more people drive them with large work boots. Maybe, that's what you're noticing.

My dad used to drive with his left foot on the brake pedal and right on the gas. You could try that so that you don't have to move your right foot :)

coderman

Reaction score
lol a little bit of both; impulsive and been thinking about it for a while, while becoming increasingly more uncomfortable with the RAM. I came from an Audi S5 Sportback, so completely new to trucks. I went out with the mrs. and took a drive in the 2020 Limited off the lot, and we both nodded it was time to trade for something more practical, yet comfortable. The difference was immediate; two completely different vehicles obviously but we both liked what we described as "sitting on a large comfy couch" while driving. I would call that purchase 100% impulsive, as all I did was a quick check on "Chrysler reliability in 2019 / 2020" and noticed the ZF transmission, and the attention to detail on the interior. Went back to the dealer, was offer $13,000 off MSRP (Canadian) and them to take my Audi off my hands. Clearly worked for them and I was off.

Sadly, I had a handful of issues right off the bat. "Take in for service" notifications flashing on the dash for the air suspension, and front parking sensors, rattles all over the place in the cabin. Even a loose Start/Stop switch that jiggled in the cutout for the wood trim I had to pull out and add some padded foam to myself. I suppose coming straight from an Audi where it's tight as a drum skewed my perspective slightly, but both vehicles were worth $88,000 new ... one would expect to not have to bust out the felt pads to stop annoying rattles in a truck. Also, a really noticeable transmission/driveline jerk and 'clunk' when letting the vehicle slow down, then stepping on the pedal (even as smooth as possible). You can see a review on YouTube where a guy has this happen several times in his review drive as well; possibly could be the eTorque but there are a couple long threads about it on the forums here too. I'll take the 10 speed in the Ford ... much smoother!

Then I got down in the footwell, and figured out why my left leg/ankle kept feeling slightly stiff/uncomfortable on long drives ... perhaps you're right (RunsWithBeer) it's designed for workbook=ts, though I do wear boots myself driving in the fall and the throw is still way larger than I'm used to. Something to be honest, the Ford does better. Much more comfortable footwell, and the seats I found a little more plush and well designed as well ... and the gas pedal doesn't jiggle and look like the cheapest plastic pedal assembly I've ever seen lol @ the right & left foot on the peddles :) didn't think to try that one haha

I'll hand it to RAM, they got me with all the bells and whistles and the cool attention to detail in the cabin. However ... when you actually just focus on driving, those little things disappear quickly and it turns much more to drive comfort and feel. If I'm constantly messing around trying to find a comfortable seating and foot position, that's no good - again might be coming from and "spoiled" by the great seats in the Audi that have electronically adjustable side bolsters, dead pedal, and very comfortable pedal placement and overall seating position etc. possibly if I had no comparison, I'd be less "offended" by it :) Ah well!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Comparing a truck to a luxury car isn't really fair. Although I've had passengers compliment my truck for it's ride and comfort. I also own a 10 year old Audi, which shares daily driver duties with my 2020 Laramie. I have to say that I've been fortunate to have a truck that doesn't have the same annoyances you described about your Limited. And in fact, with the exception of the dead pedal, I'm just as comfortable on a long drive in my Ram as I am in my Audi. The only reason I use the Audi is for fuel savings. I can say the same thing about my wife's 2020 Limited. No annoyances, and it's even more comfortable than my Laramie. It sounds like you just got a bad apple.

I'm glad to hear that you found yourself a more comfortable truck, and wish you all the best with it.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
It seems to me that each brand of vehicle has a certain driving position character all it's own. For me personally, I fit in FCA designed vehicles. I'm comfortable in nearly all FCA models I've driven or ridden in (Minivans, Challengers, Jeeps, Wranglers, Fiat Abarth, Trucks, etc)

OTOH, I'm uncomfortable in Ford, Honda, Nissan, etc. The seats don't fit me, the distance to controls is off, sight lines are bad, the vents blow on my hands, etc. Before I bought the Ram I considered a new Ranger, but once again it was just not right.

My wife fits in Honda and VW vehicles, so she drives those.
GM vehicles are just too ugly to tempt me to sit in one, much less drive them.

Rossum

Reaction score
Posting here primarily because I want a dead pedal too. I love my '21 Laramie, but on long drives, I do miss the dead pedal that my other vehicles have always had.

mophead

Reaction score
Split carpet, built up floor and angle with aluminum plates (you could use wood) put this cover ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Dura...947963?hash=item236cf67abb:g:3U0AAOSwqu9VSzW9) on top, cut and glued carpet to fit in my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looks like I'll be doing it again when I get my Bighorn. I noticed it right away when I test drove it. I don't know what mfg are thinking slanting floorboards away. Maybe ladies with heels???

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online