5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parkview Camera useless

slammer55616

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the add. We just got a new 2019 Ram Classic at work. Im in charge of the vehicles. The problem is the rear camera is so inaccurate, if you used it, you'd back into everything in sight. There is no warning beeps and the "red" area is so short, you'd hit something before it went off. I backed up to within 6" of my personal truck and no warnings whatsoever and the display stayed in the "Yellow". Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment? This truck is the low end and has the small radio screen (4.2"?) Thanks for any help.

Klute

Reaction score
Not sure about the classic but do you have parking (front and rear) sensors turned on? Toggles under the radio? Maybe yours does not have the options. (?)

drush

Reaction score
+1 to make sure sensors are on. I haven’t had any issues yet and it’s been pretty accurate for me.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
First of all, thanks for the add. We just got a new 2019 Ram Classic at work. Im in charge of the vehicles. The problem is the rear camera is so inaccurate, if you used it, you'd back into everything in sight. There is no warning beeps and the "red" area is so short, you'd hit something before it went off. I backed up to within 6" of my personal truck and no warnings whatsoever and the display stayed in the "Yellow". Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment? This truck is the low end and has the small radio screen (4.2"?) Thanks for any help.
Why are you posting this on the 5th Gen forum?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, this is probably better posted somewhere else. I can't speak to the previous generation camera. As for the new generation, if anything I find it a little more sensitive than I personally would like. In any case, I don't trust backing up to a camera since I've been turning my head and looking behind me for years. I do find the camera useful, in that the older and arthritic I get I just use the mirrors and camera. Plus now I have a camper shell on the back to keep all my tools dry so you kind of have to use the mirrors more.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you get a Classic Tradesman or Express. Those trim levels don't have park sense, only the backup camera.

This.

ParkSense is the rear sonar (front too, if equipped).
ParkView is the rear view camera.

Either way, to the OP, your truck has no audio warnings integrated into the reverse camera system. The camera is meant to be a supplement, and is not considered a precise tool at all. If you are using the guidelines and got within 6" of another vehicle before it was showing in the red marks, I would say maybe take a trip to the dealer to see if they can adjust the camera angle for you, or replace the camera itself.

Users who are viewing this thread