5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overlanding in Limited?

dc51786

Reaction score
I have a 22 1500 limited and love it. I'm starting to get into overlanding (3 trips in for a total of 9 nights so far) and realizing that I want to have a vehicle modded up to make overlanding easier and more enjoyable.

I'm torn. I know the limited is not the "ideal" starting point for an overlanding rig, but I love the interior and quality highway ride.

Should I start over with a power wagon or a rebel (or even a gladiator), or just mod up the limited?

There are no wrong answers, please bring your experiences & hot takes!
7e6adcd83433845b232a78179eadbe5e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 22 1500 limited and love it. I'm starting to get into overlanding (3 trips in for a total of 9 nights so far) and realizing that I want to have a vehicle modded up to make overlanding easier and more enjoyable.

I'm torn. I know the limited is not the "ideal" starting point for an overlanding rig, but I love the interior and quality highway ride.

Should I start over with a power wagon or a rebel (or even a gladiator), or just mod up the limited?

There are no wrong answers, please bring your experiences & hot takes!
7e6adcd83433845b232a78179eadbe5e.jpg

For what it’s worth, I overland in my Longhorn. I don’t have air suspension, and I did upgrade to Fox shocks/struts and Dobbinson rear springs, and bigger, all terrain tires.

I do have the off road group. I’ve never used the locker, but in a few situations the skid plates were probably good to have.

One of the main limitations for our luxe-landers is limited payload. With a rack, RTT, fridge, and other gear, I’m not left with much spare payload.

I love my Longhorn, and I haven’t really run into payload problems (more concerned just in case), but if I were to do more hardcore off-roading, I’d probably start with a Big Horn or maybe Laramie. I might feel a bit less pain over the pinstripes I’ve picked up, too.

IMG_2074.jpeg

dc51786

Reaction score
Sounds like adding some skid plates isn't a bad idea if I stick with what I currently have - thank you!

Bo-Bearski

Reaction score
Sounds like adding some skid plates isn't a bad idea if I stick with what I currently have - thank you!

Here's a good tread on skid plates

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a good tread on skid plates
Yeah, I’ve got the factory skids, but those look much better and offer more coverage.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say a limited is a terrible overlanding vehicle being the trails are slow and easy-ish but maybe do the skid plates. A decent set of rock sliders and a slight lift to help with angles. But I wonder if the air suspension would correct the weight added by the rack system, roof top tent and other misc things like drawer system and kitchen (cooking) area

Users who are viewing this thread