5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

over weight error with air suspension

LamboMitch

Reaction score
so first time towing something heavier. it was a 11k loaded toy hauler. pulled it just fine but I did notice after driving for about 10 to 20 min sometimes the over weight error would come on and it would say it was disabling the air if I remember correctly. i wasn't near the max towing but close. has anyone else towed heavier weight with the air and if so what did you encounter and did you have to upgrade anything else? thanks for the insight and help

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Max towing weight is a fictional number for a perfectly balanced trailer. You’re likely way over payload towing 11k. What’s your payload and what do you have in the truck with you?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are simply overloaded.

A loaded 11,000 lbs toy hauler is WAY too much for a 1500, you’re likely over 1,500 lbs tongue weight

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^^^^ what he said. You need to get this rig to a CAT scale ASAP. Payload notwithstanding, this sounds dangerous, and that is with a WDH!

StringNH

Reaction score
I would also suggest getting to a scale. Not sure how it works in your state but I found in the state of NH, the DOT weigh stations on the highway always have the scales turned on. If the station is empty and not manned, I just roll in stop on the scale and read the numbers posted on the LED display. Don't even need to get out of the truck.

That being said, I just pulled for the first time in my 2021 ecodiesel, limited crew cab 6'4" bed and I was very impressed. I was definitely overloaded. The bed was full of gear, 4 rims and tires and lots of tools. I hooked up my boat trailer, it's all of 10k lbs if not more. The air suspension handled it perfectly, no sag or squat. Then I cranked in the Anderson WDH, just to be on safe side. I never used a WDH before, always pulled with my Cummins powered 2500 and didn't feel the need. Anyway the truck and trailer made the trip with no issues. I was half expecting the air suspension to have problems but none to be found.

Very impressed with this 1500 ecodiesel.

20211016_145330.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread