5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordering A 2020 RAM 1500 Limited

llackey23

Reaction score
I'm going to be ordering a 2020 RAM 1500 Limited tomorrow from my dealership. Can anyone comment here about pricing? Is the price just whatever the price comes out to be? Or is there still MSRP and dealer discounts, rebates, etc...They told me to configure the RAM online and send them the specs - well the specs had the RAM ONLINE PRICE but I am not sure if that's the MSRP or is that going to be my price?

I emailed my dealership and they were like - just come in tomorrow and give us $500.00 deposit and we'll order your truck. I am okay with the deposit - I understand but are we gonna price haggle any or no?

airgas1998

Reaction score
if you pay anywhere near msrp you're getting raped...general consensus is shoot for around 20% off msrp and go from there. i just told the dealer i wanted x off didn't care about how they got there.(combo of rebates and other incentives)

llackey23

Reaction score
if you pay anywhere near msrp you're getting raped...general consensus is shoot for around 20% off msrp and go from there. i just told the dealer i wanted x off didn't care about how they got there.(combo of rebates and other incentives)
But that's my question - when custom ordering from the factory does MSRP even come into play? Or is the price the price? This is what I am confused about.

llackey23

Reaction score
When you order it, it will have the MSRP--pretty easy to get about 10K OFF MSRP on these Limiteds! Dont sigh Crap until the $$$ are what you want!
THANKS.................ICE-MAN......."Maverick" :cool::)

Xhumeka

Reaction score
I just got finished ordering a 2020 Limited also, but I'm in Toronto and you are from Texas it seems based by your posts. Hopefully someone local can help in more detail, but I'll share my details in case it helps. I went to the RAM USA website and entered a Houston Postal code to replicate my build in your area - I was able to select everything except I couldn't find where to add the class 4 hitch receiver. The numbers (converted from CAD to USD) I posted in my original post ( https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/price-negotiated-from-msrp.274/page-263#post-232316 ) come very close to matching the MSRP listed when I build on the USA website:

9Jq9arP.png

So in your area the MSRP for "my build" (minus class 4 hitch) is $68,660 (Base + Options + Destination). My post estimated the MSRP at $68,000 after conversion rates on that day.

Now of course, rebates vary from state to state, country to country - this month in Ontario there is an $8,000 rebate direct from the manufacturer:

wXruZpX.png

According the build I did for Houston, the current manufacturer rebates show $2,000. From the research I did on this site (mostly using this thread I linked above), it appears there's not much you can do in terms of haggling the dealer on manufacturer incentives - it is what it is.

In my case I was able to negotiate a further $8,680 discount from my dealer, and that's something that shouldn't depend as much on location. G'luck with your purchase!

ericd

Reaction score
When I ordered my 2014 you can haggle just as if the car is on the lot. They give you all the current rebates and incentives. When the truck arrives for delivery you get the same deal you negotiated. However, if the current monthly incentives are better when you pick it up, you get those instead of the ones you negotiated during the order.

llackey23

Reaction score
Here is their response when I asked them about ordering directly from the manufacturer.

"The rebates applied are ones given at the time of delivery. We sell ordered vehicles at $500 over invoice minus rebates."

This is probably higher than I want to pay right?

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Here is their response when I asked them about ordering directly from the manufacturer.

"The rebates applied are ones given at the time of delivery. We sell ordered vehicles at $500 over invoice minus rebates."

This is probably higher than I want to pay right?
Several dealers on here have prices 7-8% below dealer invoice less eligible incentives. I ordered mine from Craig @ Koon's. Great experience and worth the flight for me. Nothing stopping you from sending your build from the Ram site to several dealers and asking them to respond via email.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Several dealers on here have prices 7-8% below dealer invoice less eligible incentives. I ordered mine from Craig @ Koon's. Great experience and worth the flight for me. Nothing stopping you from sending your build from the Ram site to several dealers and asking them to respond via email.
Great advice.

llackey23

Reaction score
When you order it, it will have the MSRP--pretty easy to get about 10K OFF MSRP on these Limiteds! Dont sigh Crap until the $$$ are what you want!

This is what they are wanting me to pay - too high!!!!
attachment 1.png

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just got finished ordering a 2020 Limited also, but I'm in Toronto and you are from Texas it seems based by your posts. Hopefully someone local can help in more detail, but I'll share my details in case it helps. I went to the RAM USA website and entered a Houston Postal code to replicate my build in your area - I was able to select everything except I couldn't find where to add the class 4 hitch receiver. The numbers (converted from CAD to USD) I posted in my original post ( https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/price-negotiated-from-msrp.274/page-263#post-232316 ) come very close to matching the MSRP listed when I build on the USA website:

So in your area the MSRP for "my build" (minus class 4 hitch) is $68,660 (Base + Options + Destination). My post estimated the MSRP at $68,000 after conversion rates on that day.

FYI...it's my understanding that all Ram 1500 trucks come with a class 4 hitch, at least in the USA. It's not an ordering option for us. I have yet to see one on a dealer lot that does not have it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Now of course, rebates vary from state to state, country to country - this month in Ontario there is an $8,000 rebate direct from the manufacturer:

According the build I did for Houston, the current manufacturer rebates show $2,000. From the research I did on this site (mostly using this thread I linked above), it appears there's not much you can do in terms of haggling the dealer on manufacturer incentives - it is what it is.

In my case I was able to negotiate a further $8,680 discount from my dealer, and that's something that shouldn't depend as much on location. G'luck with your purchase!
When I was looking at ordering a 2020 recently, I asked my local dealer about this. I was told that I would get the same incentives as what they were offering on 2020 models they had on the lot. At the time, my 2020 Laramie which had a sticker price of $58k, would have qualified for about $10k worth of incentives if I would have ordered it from them.

Xhumeka

Reaction score
FYI...it's my understanding that all Ram 1500 trucks come with a class 4 hitch, at least in the USA. It's not an ordering option for us. I have yet to see one on a dealer lot that does not have it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that.

Interesting! And makes a lot of sense... strange us Canadians have the option.

llackey23 - using your quote sheet above I used that Zip code in the online builder, and I'm pretty sure I have selected all your options correctly:

aJGxXFY.png

When you complete your build online, do you see the same incentives/discounts as I do? ($5,000 in 5 different line items) From what I understand, these incentives are NOT from the dealer, so if that's the case the direct "dealer discount" is basically $500 or so.

It's interesting to see exactly where the dealer is discounting the MSRP price... and tell them to fill up your tank without chargnig you ;)

Also - what's that "plus $500" comment mean?

Last edited:

llackey23

Reaction score
Interesting! And makes a lot of sense... strange us Canadians have the option.

llackey23 - using your quote sheet above I used that Zip code in the online builder, and I'm pretty sure I have selected all your options correctly:

aJGxXFY.png

When you complete your build online, do you see the same incentives/discounts as I do? ($5,000 in 5 different line items) From what I understand, these incentives are NOT from the dealer, so if that's the case the direct "dealer discount" is basically $500 or so.

It's interesting to see exactly where the dealer is discounting the MSRP price... and tell them to fill up your tank without chargnig you ;)

Also - what's that "plus $500" comment mean?

They told me my price was basically "500 over their invoice" on a direct order. So they want me to come put down $500 and then I will pay the "invoice" price when the truck comes in........

llackey23

Reaction score
Did you see my response or did it get embedded in your post by me by accident?

Cannonball

Reaction score
@llackey23 the invoice price is around 8-12% lower than msrp depending on the trim level. For my limited in late '18 the invoice was 9% lower than msrp. I also ordered a factory build through @Koons_Tysons_Corner and paid far less than invoice in the end. This included FCA discounts and further money off straight through the dealer. Exactly how much doesn't matter since the overall market is different now but if you shop around i think you'll be happily surprised at how much discount a dealer will be willing to give you on a build. A few % = thousands saved.

I recommend emailing the largest dealers within a distance you'd be willing to fly to and drive the truck home from. Send them the build sheet and ask them to make you an offer that warrants your trip. They have more flexibility on price due to volume and internet sales departments that actually do their job. I had very poor experiences with smaller dealer internet dept reps. Good luck!

llackey23

Reaction score
@llackey23 the invoice price is around 8-12% lower than msrp depending on the trim level. For my limited in late '18 the invoice was 9% lower than msrp. I also ordered a factory build through @Koons_Tysons_Corner and paid far less than invoice in the end. This included FCA discounts and further money off straight through the dealer. Exactly how much doesn't matter since the overall market is different now but if you shop around i think you'll be happily surprised at how much discount a dealer will be willing to give you on a build. A few % = thousands saved.

I recommend emailing the largest dealers within a distance you'd be willing to fly to and drive the truck home from. Send them the build sheet and ask them to make you an offer that warrants your trip. They have more flexibility on price due to volume and internet sales departments that actually do their job. I had very poor experiences with smaller dealer internet dept reps. Good luck!
Thanks Cannonball!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would recommend ordering your truck through the dealership. The dealerships can see all the options and requirements where the on-line building tool might not. Plus the sales staff can see exactly what you want and are ordering so if it doesn't show up exactly as you wanted it's on them and not you.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread