5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opening Rambox rubs against gasket of tonneau cover

hoppy

Reaction score
2021 RAM 1500 Limited with Ramboxes. When opening the rambox it rubs against the gasket that runs the length of the BAK Revolver X4 Rolling Truck Bed Tonneau Cover. The rubber is deterioting and I am wondering if I should I lubricate it and if so what with. Has anyone had this problem? There was a suggestion somewhere that the gasket wasn’t necessary and could be removed. But I’m not sure about that and need to know more. I’ve included pictures. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 1.jpg
    Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 1.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 2.jpg
    Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 2.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 3.jpg
    Jack_Rambox_Tonneau 3.jpg
    866.2 KB · Views: 27

Driver

Reaction score
That gasket is mandatory on most if not all covers. Without it, you'll have leaks. Looks like the mfg did not treat it well for uv resistance, and it is deteriorating early.

hoppy

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Do you have any idea what I could treat it with now?

Driver

Reaction score
There are many rubber and plastic protective treatments. One is 303.

Majortom

Reaction score
If that is a Retrax rolling cover, I went a couple rounds with them and they are well aware their design is at issue. They have sworn up and down that should the rubber fail as a result, it is covered u dear a lifetime warranty. I haven’t had to test them on it, and I suspect they will not honor it, but so far it’s holding. Mind you I don’t use the ram box a lot, and don’t open it fully most time when I do.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like a Bakflip, looks like the rails needed to be installed inwards or maybe even up or down a bit where the rubber strip isn’t purposely rubbing every time you open and close the ram lid.

Out of the two tonneau covers I had/have Lomax and now a retrax it wasn’t just quick slap rails on bolt this, bolt that and done. Had to make sure the rails where positioned where the lids can open and close fully and not interfere with any of the seal. Took a little more time but it also helped that I do my own installs and not a shop thats just wants to get it done.

hoppy

Reaction score
Thank you, everyone for your suggestions. I'm giving it some time till I figure out what I want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread