5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay, so Laramie = "Bristol Leather Trim". What is it?

bigoldthor

Reaction score
The Laramie trim supposedly has "Bristol Leather Trim" according to Ram's website right here. I've searched for "Bristol Leather" and see stuff on motorcycle jackets and what not, but I assume that isn't related to what's in our trucks. The window sticker simply says "Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats".
  • WTH is "Bristol Leather"?
  • Does anyone know anything about what type of leather is actually used?
  • What parts of the seat are actual leather, besides the suede trim? "Leather-trimmed" is pretty vague.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Leather trimmed typically means the outer areas of the seats...the inner is usually some fake leather/vinyl (leatherette).

Barney556180

Reaction score
“Bristol Leather” sounds like a marketing flight of fancy...
I suspect it’s never been near a real animal.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Leather trimmed typically means the outer areas of the seats...the inner is usually some fake leather/vinyl (leatherette).
So the inner portions, where the perforations are for the heated and ventilated feature, is not real leather then? At least on the Laramie trim?

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the inner portions, where the perforations are for the heated and ventilated feature, is not real leather then? At least on the Laramie trim?

I am not knowing as I have not done any real research. Just expressing how auto makers typically do the lower trims in regard to leather seats.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Typically it's the opposite on most manufacturers. The actual seating surface is leather and sides and back are vinyl. I know even on aftermarket kits such as katzkin is the same but they do have option to upgrade to full leather.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Wish there was a way to truly know. Can't seem to find a definitive answer. I like to use a specific leather cleaner and conditioner on the real leather portions, while using something different on the faux leather, vinyl, etc.

Saints

Reaction score
Everywhere that your body touches is leather and the sides and back are vinyl. This is the same for 95+% of any car maker and also furniture. You do not have to use specific cleaner or conditioner for leather vs vinyl. Keeping it clean is key to maintaining it.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Everywhere that your body touches is leather and the sides and back are vinyl. This is the same for 95+% of any car maker and also furniture. You do not have to use specific cleaner or conditioner for leather vs vinyl. Keeping it clean is key to maintaining it.
This was always my assumption whenever I'd see "leather trimmed", and you are probably right. It's just that the manufacturers are all so vague about it now that it's hard to tell anymore. They could say leather-trimmed and it could be accurate if any part of the seat was leather, no matter how little.

Anyway, thanks for the answer and I hope you're right. I usually use Lexol Cleaner followed by Lexol Conditioner. I like they way it brings back the new leather smell, but I guess it won't hurt on vinyl or PU leather either.

Users who are viewing this thread