5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil & Fuel filters for eco diesel

heffy

Reaction score
My new Rebel Eco diesel is almost here and I was wondering if anyone here buys there Oil & Fuel filters from Amazon, if so are they just as good as OEM. Thanks in advance for any help

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use OEM for oil filters and the fuel filter I used an aftermarket last time. I got both on rock auto. Their prices are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use OEM for oil filters and the fuel filter I used an aftermarket last time. I got both on rock auto. Their prices are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatal

Rock auto is where I buy my filters, the prices are a lot cheaper for OEM products until I got my bill, the prices are in American $, but it was still a 30% savings in the end. Canadian web stores for OEM parts are scares and Mopar parts Canada want an arm and a leg for shipping.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased an oil filter off Amazon to compare and it looks nearly identical to the mopar filter except it doesn’t have the mopar logo or parts number on it. The plastic might be just a bit thinner in some areas but I didn’t measure it to know for sure.

Part source sells the exact fuel filter you get from mopar only branded carquest. The filters on Amazon look the same, but I would rather spend a little more for the peace of mind the proper filters provide. Fuel contamination in a diesel will cause major issues.

Both filters on Amazon are approximately half the price of the parts counter options.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the price of Oil Going up I just got 18 Qts of the Penzoil for the Ecodiesel for $140 from Amazon.
I still need to get two more Oil Filters and another Fuel Filter. That will cover me for about 20K Miles.
I just did the Oil Change and Fuel Filter a couple of week back.

I get the Filters from DieselFiltersOnline.com

Malodave

KOOPS

Reaction score
Nvm. Found a YouTube video showing the process. What's the overall process like? I've changed my own oil and oil filter's before (past vehicles). But never a fuel filter for a diesel. Assuming probably pretty similar/easy.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an aftermarket oil filter from amazon for my oil change in two weeks. I have no issues using aftermarket if it doesn’t cause too much of a pressure drop. $20 for filter, $40 for quaker state oil- that’s the same cost as my hemi oil change with everything mobil1. Making a paper oil filter isn’t rocket science.

Fuel filter might be mopar when the time comes, but I’m not sure yet.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nvm. Found a YouTube video showing the process. What's the overall process like? I've changed my own oil and oil filter's before (past vehicles). But never a fuel filter for a diesel. Assuming probably pretty similar/easy.
The Fuel Filter is up near the Drivers Foot Well on the Frame Rail. Use a couple of heavy Gallon Freezer bags to catch the fuel from the filter.

Malodave

n8zcc

Reaction score
It is safe to say Mopar does not manufacture the oil filter or the fuel filter. Looking for acceptable filters can be a challenge but given the national backorder going on, some don't have a choice.

I think the fuel filter has to have either a 2 or 3 micron rating but I don't know anything about the oil filter. Anyone?

brandomc

Reaction score
The Fuel Filter is up near the Drivers Foot Well on the Frame Rail. Use a couple of heavy Gallon Freezer bags to catch the fuel from the filter.

Malodave
The fuel filter is simple to change. 100% agree with using a large zip-lock bag to catch fuel and the cap. Tip: Loosen the cap first then cover the cap with the zip-lock bag. On my first fuel filter change, I put the zip-lock bag first and the socket ripped a hole in the bag and I got fuel everywhere. Also, the filter can be tough to snap out of the housing. I had to use a flathead screwdriver to pop out the filter. Besides that, super simple and save hundreds!!!

brandomc

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Doc's Diesel products? Doc's fuel filter is about $10 less than Mopar's. They also have good pricing on fuel, air and cabin filters. Any feedback???

Ninety-9 SE-L

Reaction score

Malodave
Another solution I discovered: Rubbermaid graduated Sous Vide containers. I bought a bunch of sizes for my kitchen, but I only really use one of them for cooking. The others ended up in my garage. Proved to be incredibly useful when I flushed and replenished 12Qts of ATF on my Nissan Frontier:

MhpJKOv.jpg
x1J659f.jpg

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Doc's Diesel products? Doc's fuel filter is about $10 less than Mopar's. They also have good pricing on fuel, air and cabin filters. Any feedback???
Hey I know this is a pretty old post, but I have been running Doc's oil filters and have had no issues the last 15k miles. just swapped in my first Doc's fuel filter. can't speak to the longevity or long term effects yet, but I will say, their filters look identical to the OEM filters they just lack the Mopar stamp. Doc's says that they match or exceed OEM standards, but I imagine only someone with some serious lab equipment could confirm or dispute that claim.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
I just did my first service (second one for the truck) and used the filters from Docs Diesel. It was probably a bit early for everything at 16000 miles but I wanted to see how bad everything was looking. The oil filter and cabin air filter was an exact match and the engine air filter was a little different but matched in quality. The fuel filter matched the physical dimensions but did not match the the amount of pleats in the filter element, definitely not the quality I was expecting from the reviews on here. It doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzies so I am going to order in an OEM fuel filter and change it back. The good news is I don't have to use the zip lock bags to change it out. I just use the drain that is on the the filter housing. I drained it into a paint mixing cup and got about a pint of fuel. It was clean and there was no water so I put in my tractor.

n8zcc

Reaction score
The fuel filter matched the physical dimensions but did not match the the amount of pleats in the filter element, definitely not the quality I was expecting from the reviews on here. It doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzies so I am going to order in an OEM fuel filter and change it back.
Thanks for this information. Fuel filtration is the last place you want to skimp. To me, it just isn't worth the savings to not buy a Mopar branded filter. I think the Mopar filter is 3 microns. I've never seen a report on after-market filters boasting about what they can filter over their service life.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I just did my first service (second one for the truck) and used the filters from Docs Diesel. It was probably a bit early for everything at 16000 miles but I wanted to see how bad everything was looking. The oil filter and cabin air filter was an exact match and the engine air filter was a little different but matched in quality. The fuel filter matched the physical dimensions but did not match the the amount of pleats in the filter element, definitely not the quality I was expecting from the reviews on here. It doesn't leave me with warm and fuzzies so I am going to order in an OEM fuel filter and change it back. The good news is I don't have to use the zip lock bags to change it out. I just use the drain that is on the the filter housing. I drained it into a paint mixing cup and got about a pint of fuel. It was clean and there was no water so I put in my tractor.
Crazy Dane, n8zcc, I will keep you guys posted how my fuel filter looks next time I change it out!

Users who are viewing this thread